• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MOMMAS WITH PET BIRDS! I NEED HELP!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have a 3 month old Cockatiel who is Hand fed once a day and Seed the rest of the time. The Top part of his beak looks like its Jammed with food. What do i do to get it out! He seems to be eatting seed just fine but refused the syringe. Im afraid its going to build up and he wont be able to eat. I tried to get as much as i could out but his mouth is so tiny!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cheyeone
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:22 AM

no clue but here's a bump

Most days I'm Mom the rest of them I'm just plain nuts!!!

My girls Angel 13, Bella 6, and Dani (6/25/09)

neenerashley
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:31 AM

bump

neenerashley
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM

COME ON NO ONE!

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:48 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group: 

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

> The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Sirenabella
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:20 AM

I'm going to ask my mom (she has 8 cockatiels) and see if she might know the answer. I'll get back to this later. 

neenerashley
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM

That would be great!

Quoting Sirenabella:

I'm going to ask my mom (she has 8 cockatiels) and see if she might know the answer. I'll get back to this later. 

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Quoting cheyeone:

no clue but here's a bump

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Hand Feds are notorious for getting food stuck in their beak after having formula. Take a warm washcloth and wipe his/her beak.

I used to breed them and that is what I have always done with them. You can safely hold the bird in a towel and gently hold it's head still while wiping the beak.

In the next few weeks the bird should be offered pellet food as it is healthier for them than seed as well as fruits and veggies. Parrots do need seeds, but not as their main food source as it is full of fat. Tiels love collard greens, carrots, grapes, strawberries, etc...

A few things to steer clear of : avocado ( toxin spreads through the fruit from the seed and it is toxic to birds), chocolate ( theobromine), caffeine, they are lactose intolerant, tomatoes and onions should also be avoided as they are very acidic, alcohol of course and junk food. Although, I had a Tiel once that would sneak my nachos from Taco bell and my sweet tea when he thought I wasn't looking... he was a sneaky little dude! LOL

They are very intelligent... I had a male once that figured out how to open his cage as well as the rest of the birds cages that I had. I came home from work one day and all of my birds were sitting on my bed. All of the parrots were screaming " Mama's home". My softbills were just chillin' out.

I hope that you are able to clean the little dude's beak! If not, you can always try and find a vet that deals in exotics and they may be able to help you out.

Claire

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)