Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous new Mom question, baby weight loss...

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:25 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son is one week old and yesterday at his first Dr. appt, he had lost weight, he weighed 7 lbs, 2 oz at birth, now he weighs 6 lbs. 7 pz.

Dr said its normal, and to just wake him up fpr more feedings.  I did that today and he spit up all the extra feedings.  Anyone been through this?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2girls2407
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:26 AM

Try putting him on Nutramigen for a couple of days. It stinks, but it worked for my daughter. she was born 6-7 by the time i took her to the doctor she was down to 6-1.  With the Nutramigen, she actually gained .5 in 1 day. good luck to ya.

hannahsmommy309
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:34 AM

i persdonally dont agree with waking a baby to eat....he didnt loose to much, normally the loose a bit after birth anyways. now if he was done to just at 6lbs or lower then id be concerned..i would continue to feed him when he wants to be fed...now if next visit he hasnt gained his weight back or still loosing then i would look into something..but thats just me. when i had my dd they told me if she didnt wake after 3 hours to wake her..there were times she went 4-5 hours and she was perfectly fine.

Susan262
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:35 AM

My daughter was 5 13 when she was born and 5 1 when we left the hospital.  Didn't take too long to start gaining though.  Susan262

RMott
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM

I have three boys and everyone of them lost weight the first week. It is normal and as for the doctor telling you to wake him up more often, I never woke them up to eat. They will let you know when they are hungry. My sister used to wake her kids up to eat and they ended up waking up during the night more often to eat. Mine pretty much slept most of the night. I wouldn't worry about the weight loss or waking them up, when they are hungry they will definately let you know. Hope this helps.

Ps. now, it he is losing a lot of weight than you might want to put him on something. But your doctor will tell you when you need to be concerned.

roxy85
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Babies lose almost 10% of their body weight at first. HOW are you feeding? Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? That can make a difference on what you need to do so he starts gaining...

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

Annemarie01
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM

All babies loss about 1 lb after birth. but they gain it all back. If he doesn't want to eat I wouldn't force him to he will eat when he wants to and before you know it the amount he eats will increase. I just had a baby girl and she lost almost 1 lb before we left the hospital and eating only 1 to 1.5oz of formula now she's eating almost 2-3oz depending on the time of day and her activity level. My son was the same way once we got him on the right formula he eat as much as he wanted to based on his activity level. Also keep in the back of your mind that each child's metabolism is different, each child breaks up and digest the food at different paces and this can contribute to when he's hungry and how often.

NANA21
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM

I am breastfeeding...

Quoting roxy85:

Babies lose almost 10% of their body weight at first. HOW are you feeding? Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? That can make a difference on what you need to do so he starts gaining...

roxy85
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:06 AM

Make sure YOU'RE eating a healthy, balanced diet. What you eat comes out in the food. If you're eating low fat or not enough you won't make enough of the nutrient dense foods that he needs. I know how hard it can be to get the nutrients you need as a new mom. I swore by smoothies. Some protein powder, milk, and fruit was all I needed those morning when I was barely functioning but I needed to get something in my tummy. Nurse as much as you can to stimulate your milk really coming in and drink plenty of water. Personally, I never worried about waking my child up to nurse. My youngest slept at least 3hrs, usually four straight home from the hospital. He was a quick, efficent nurser so waking him when he wasn't ready was pointless for us. I set my alarm for four hours and then get up. Usually he neded a diaper change anway and that woke him up to eat. Keep up the great job that you're doing!

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

Rahforever
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:08 AM

its normal keep breastfeeding most drs will freak you out and say sumplemt but, the best way to keep your milk up and get your milk in is bf bf bf..... every 1-2 hours /on demand. my son never lost weight he gained a little, he was 7 2.6lbs at birth and 1 week 7.3. good luck you are doing wonderful.

Mrs.Wasson
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:18 AM

Yep, if you are BFing then they lose a little bit of weight during the first week or so...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)