Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADVICE please? Is 9.00/hour reasonable?????

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM
  • 31 Replies

I'm searching for nanny jobs and am being asked what my rates are.

I currently watch 3 boys and do a preschool lesson with them each day.  No housework - $8.75/hour ----which is $350.00/week.

I have gotten a response from a family with 5 children, only 2 younger ones, that DOES want housekeeping, also.  I'm open to suggestions on my pay rate, but I'm thinking $9.00 (at least) an hour.  Is this reasonable???

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashley22ky
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I think it is. At least. I may even ask for more.

AmelieH
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

well.. what are your qualifications?  Do you have CPR/First Aid certs?  Experience?  References?  All of that combines for your fees.  When I was looking for a nanny, all of that was taken into consideration for compensation.   

mirandar2001
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM

VERY reasonable. If the family had to put 5 kids in daycare it would cost a bundle. 

INTERESTED IN SAVING ON YOUR GROCERY BILL? LOVE COUPONING? JOIN US!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/102020

suebee3
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM
I think that is bargain. I think in ny a Babysitter is supposed to make around 15 an hour four i kid especially that your watching 5 and house work.
stuckinamess
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Heck yes! If you lived near me I would pay that to watch my two girls (10 and 7) and housework. Heck I pay my cleaning lady alone more than that. Our babysitter gets paid $7 an hour no housework.

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

scootermom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Quoting suebee3:

I think that is bargain. I think in ny a Babysitter is supposed to make around 15 an hour four i kid especially that your watching 5 and house work.

lilypad728
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I think it depends on how many hours and how much cleaning they expect from you. Personally, I would ask for a weekly rate not an hourly rate. That way your money is gauranteed, even if they choose they don't need you for a day.

phoenixdreamer
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:00 AM

id ask for at least 10....and if you do know cpr and stuff maybe a little more...and how big is the house? and how extensive of a cleaning job do they want?  you want to take all that into consideration

cheyeone
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM

good idea... though you could base it on 9 an hour... deff go with a weekly rate

Quoting lilypad728:

I think it depends on how many hours and how much cleaning they expect from you. Personally, I would ask for a weekly rate not an hourly rate. That way your money is gauranteed, even if they choose they don't need you for a day.

Most days I'm Mom the rest of them I'm just plain nuts!!!

My girls Angel 13, Bella 6, and Dani (6/25/09)

Elizabeth1015
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

thanks ladies!  just making sure no one's jaw hits the floor over $9 an hour.  I'm actually thinking more, and yes, i also want the weekly rate.  i told them i can only do hourly if they gaurantee me 40 hrs a week, but i might just go ahead and do a flat weekly rate.  i'm thinking no more than 450/week....so im in the area of 360-450 a week and i emailed them back to ask for more details about the job and duties so i can make a fair and reasonable charge  *and btw, i have 10 yrs experience as a pre-k teacher, 3 yrs exp as a nanny, and have taken cpr/first aid 4 times in the past, although im not currently certified....thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)