Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice, tummy issues (kinda long, possible TMI)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

Ok, so for about the last 4 yrs I've had some seriously bad stomach issues.  Basically just diarrhea, never really the constipation.  And I mean BAD...like 6-7 per DAY.  I had a colonoscopy back in Dec 2006, which revealed slight irritation but the doctor said I didn't have anything wrong with me and to come back if it got bad again (btw, it never got better and he also lied about the irritation found by telling me there was no irritation). 

Then, in May of this year, I went to a different dr, at a completely different clinic and he ordered blood tests, another colonoscopy and an endoscopy after reviewing the results from my previous colonoscopy (he's the one who told me about the noted irritation).  I had both of those done and he said everything was fine and he wanted to approach the problem with a "wait and see" attitude.  The problem has NEVER gotten better. 

I can't leave town, ever.  I'm stuck at home a lot.  Last weekend, me and DH went out and we ended up coming home really early cuz of my stomach.  I can't eat anything.  I live on bread basically.  I quit smoking (the only positive out of this whole thing), drinking soda, drinking alcohol, I don't eat anything that's been fried.  I'm supposed to be in a wedding next year, and I'm seriously thinking about bowing out cuz I'm afraid I won't be able to make it through the ceremony.  My DH and I also want to renew our vows next year, and last night I told him I don't wanna do it cuz I'm afraid I won't make it through the ceremony.  Everyone just keeps telling me I'll be fine...but that's obviously not the case.  Does anyone have any advice or any idea what could be wrong with me?

I am a baby-wearing, vaccinating, country music loving, Obama supporting, WI Badger loving, bull-headed, strong-willed, pro choice, tattooed, pierced, stay at home momma of two absolutely gorgeous girls.  I have opinions...and I'm entitled to them!

in love             blowing bubbles              baby girl

Justin & Michele 9/16/02    Aubrey Michele 12/22/02    Gracey McKenna 1/7/08

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
akataml
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Has chrones ever been mentioned? My SIL has it and it sounds oddly familiar 

phoenixdreamer
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM

i'm afraid i have no idea besides the possible irritable bowel syndrome....have you ever tried to eat more bulking up foods??  and taking vitamins??  maybe you're missing certain vitamins in ur diet that is causing this.  i know a good bulking up food is bananas...and eating breads could actually be making you worse...most ppl eat more bread like food for the fiber because they're constipated....maybe even more cheese daily would help since ppl seem to think that it supposedly constipates a person if they eat too much...other then that i would definitely try to look up more bulking foods, and possibly start taking a vitamin daily.

lilcutie79
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM

what about IBS?  my co worker has that and she's in the bathroom all the time at work. 

SWasson
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Find a new gastroenterologist, and ask about Crohn's disease and Celiac disease.

nikkikry
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I just posted about my diarrhea problem getting worse when I've got my period...but I get it all of the time, not just on my period. It's ruined many nice evenings for me too. At the beginning of July me, hubby, and DD were driving up to Olive Garden for my Grandma's birthday dinner. It's a 45 minute drive and about 10 minutes into the drive my stomach started gurgling and turning (I'm sure you know the feeling by now). I just kept praying I'd make it there in time to just run straight into the bathroom. It kept getting worse and worse. Then DD started throwing up all over herself. So I stopped the car and we took her out to finish so she wouldn't choke on it then cleaned her up a bit and headed home cause she got it all over the car, her seat, and herself. I feel bad, but I was so happy it happened. Because we drove straight home and I ran to the bathroom. It's pathetic and sad that it happened and it's not the first time I've gone to a dinner or somewhere and just ran straight for the bathroom.

I haven't seen a doctor about it, but I've been considering it lately because when I was a SAHM it wasn't such a big deal cause I could go when I needed to go. Now that I work full-time it's horrible. I can barely function sometimes.

I don't know what could be causing it, but I do feel your pain. My mom had this problem for years and ended up needing her gall bladder taken out. I know that's not problem though. Good luck to you!!! Hopefully your doctors will figure it out...although I have very little faith in doctors.

CafeMom Tickers

in love I Married My High School Sweetheartttc

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Quoting phoenixdreamer:

i'm afraid i have no idea besides the possible irritable bowel syndrome....have you ever tried to eat more bulking up foods??  and taking vitamins??  maybe you're missing certain vitamins in ur diet that is causing this.  i know a good bulking up food is bananas...and eating breads could actually be making you worse...most ppl eat more bread like food for the fiber because they're constipated....maybe even more cheese daily would help since ppl seem to think that it supposedly constipates a person if they eat too much...other then that i would definitely try to look up more bulking foods, and possibly start taking a vitamin daily.

I do take a vitamin daily, I've also tried not taking it...same results.  My dr told me to eat a lot of fiber cuz it would help regulate...it's not.  I've tried the cheese thing...unfortunately I'm from WI and am immune to it's capabilities...lmao!

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Quoting SWasson:

Find a new gastroenterologist, and ask about Crohn's disease and Celiac disease.

According to the GI dr I recently went to, my blood tests ruled out both Crohn's and Celiac disease.

I am a baby-wearing, vaccinating, country music loving, Obama supporting, WI Badger loving, bull-headed, strong-willed, pro choice, tattooed, pierced, stay at home momma of two absolutely gorgeous girls.  I have opinions...and I'm entitled to them!

in love             blowing bubbles              baby girl

Justin & Michele 9/16/02    Aubrey Michele 12/22/02    Gracey McKenna 1/7/08

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

HAve you tried the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesaude, Toast) diet on yourself?  It'll help bind you up. Dairy doesn't always bind people up.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Quoting nikkikry:

I just posted about my diarrhea problem getting worse when I've got my period...but I get it all of the time, not just on my period. It's ruined many nice evenings for me too. At the beginning of July me, hubby, and DD were driving up to Olive Garden for my Grandma's birthday dinner. It's a 45 minute drive and about 10 minutes into the drive my stomach started gurgling and turning (I'm sure you know the feeling by now). I just kept praying I'd make it there in time to just run straight into the bathroom. It kept getting worse and worse. Then DD started throwing up all over herself. So I stopped the car and we took her out to finish so she wouldn't choke on it then cleaned her up a bit and headed home cause she got it all over the car, her seat, and herself. I feel bad, but I was so happy it happened. Because we drove straight home and I ran to the bathroom. It's pathetic and sad that it happened and it's not the first time I've gone to a dinner or somewhere and just ran straight for the bathroom.

I haven't seen a doctor about it, but I've been considering it lately because when I was a SAHM it wasn't such a big deal cause I could go when I needed to go. Now that I work full-time it's horrible. I can barely function sometimes.

I don't know what could be causing it, but I do feel your pain. My mom had this problem for years and ended up needing her gall bladder taken out. I know that's not problem though. Good luck to you!!! Hopefully your doctors will figure it out...although I have very little faith in doctors.

Oh I SO know the feeling!  I used to work about 45 mins from home and getting to and from work was TORTURE.  I'm a SAHM now so it's not as bad, but still...when I can't even go to Wal-Mart...  My DH wanted to take me out to dinner for my bday a couple months ago at my favorite restaurant (The Melting Pot) but we couldn't go cuz we couldn't afford to pay for a hotel room (the restaurant's an hour away and I don't trust myself in the car that long after eating).  Hopefully we can BOTH figure out what's wrong!

nikkikry
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I used to be too embarrassed to use a public bathroom...and one time I was at Wal-Mart and I'm not kidding you I'm suprised I didn't get pulled over or get into an accident I was driving so fast to get home and to my bathroom. It's ruined countless outings for me. Every few months we drive 2 hours to his Grandma's house or my Dad's house and it's a nightmare. I hate getting it at other people's houses. It's just awful. I'm hoping to be a SAHM again very soon, but I still need to figure out what the heck is wrong with me.

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Quoting nikkikry:

Oh I SO know the feeling!  I used to work about 45 mins from home and getting to and from work was TORTURE.  I'm a SAHM now so it's not as bad, but still...when I can't even go to Wal-Mart...  My DH wanted to take me out to dinner for my bday a couple months ago at my favorite restaurant (The Melting Pot) but we couldn't go cuz we couldn't afford to pay for a hotel room (the restaurant's an hour away and I don't trust myself in the car that long after eating).  Hopefully we can BOTH figure out what's wrong!

CafeMom Tickers

in love I Married My High School Sweetheartttc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)