Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just moved into apartments and I need help!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM
  • 14 Replies

We just moved, and we had to take these apartments for now. So the problem is they do not have washer/dryer connections and we live on the top floor which is 4 flights of steps, no elevators. Laundry is such a pain in the ass, as well as groceries. My kids are 2 and 4. So they aren't at the age where I can leave them alone. I pack the laundry and them up and down, up and down. My 2 year old is super slow at going up and down, and my 4 year old flies up and down them. So I'm in the middle with my hands tied wondering what the hell to do. Any help? I'm afraid one of them will fall or get down before me and run into the street or something.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

You'll have to teach them to stay put while you get things up and down the stairs.  I would always keep mine inside while I transported everything.  If I was going out, they stay inside until I was done, if I'm going in, they go in first and then I go get the stuff.  Is there a baby gate you can use to keep the 2 year old somewhere safe until you're done?

~Jill~

youngmamma11
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

We lived on the third floor apartment for two years... we moved in before my daughter was born and just this past february we moved into a much better townhouse with our own yard. Although our apartment did have a washer and dryer hook-up and we did have a washer and dryer.. but i hated carrying groceries and our daughter in the infant carrier. There was just no wasy way... Sorry i'm not really much help.. i'm just so glad we don't live in them anymore.

Shiiloe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Married?  S/O ?  I'd leave it for my husband to do.  Of course, my husband does most of the laundry anyway, so he wouldn't give me a hard time or anything.

ashley22ky
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Quoting jillbailey26:

You'll have to teach them to stay put while you get things up and down the stairs.  I would always keep mine inside while I transported everything.  If I was going out, they stay inside until I was done, if I'm going in, they go in first and then I go get the stuff.  Is there a baby gate you can use to keep the 2 year old somewhere safe until you're done?

No, but I've thought about putting him in his booster (strapping him in) with a popsicle or something to keep him busy for a minute. I'm just scared to leave them alone in the apartment.

ashley22ky
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Quoting Shiiloe:

Married?  S/O ?  I'd leave it for my husband to do.  Of course, my husband does most of the laundry anyway, so he wouldn't give me a hard time or anything.

Yea, but he works alot. Sometimes I'll save it for the weekends. But I'm here all the time and I just want to get it done. Groceries are the same way. I have to make 3 or 4 trips when I go to the store, it's such a pain. I like it here, except for this stuff.

kimikylemama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I do my laundry when my kids are asleep at night.

phoenixdreamer
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

what about those...well basically leashes for kids??? that way if you're arms are full you at least know they are still attached to you and how far they can go

ashley22ky
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Quoting phoenixdreamer:

what about those...well basically leashes for kids??? that way if you're arms are full you at least know they are still attached to you and how far they can go

That's a pretty good idea. My 4 year old may end up pulling me down the steps though, lol. I may try that though. I actually have 1 of them here.

eyegirl

I lived in an apartment for awhile. I got close to a neighbor with kids and we shared duties.I also had a teenage boy who would help do anything for a home cooked meal. His mom had died and dad couldn't cook. I got luky. Try seeing if another mom near by has a similar issue. Maybe she'll trade. Watch your kids while you do your stuff and you watch hers so she can do the same

jillbailey26

Quoting ashley22ky:

Quoting jillbailey26:

No, but I've thought about putting him in his booster (strapping him in) with a popsicle or something to keep him busy for a minute. I'm just scared to leave them alone in the apartment.

You might have to leave them.  I'm sure by now they know what they are and aren't allowed to get into and you can tell them to stay inside or else they'll be in "big trouble."  That always worked with mine, lol.

~Jill~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)