• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sugar in your child's diet

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you limit sugar in your childrens diet?

Options:

Yes, I make every meal with the least sugar possible.

No, they eat what they want.

Yes, I only buy healthy items.

Other. Explanation below.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

Do you limit the amount of sugar in your childrens diet? Or do you allow them to eat whatever they want?

I do limit what my DD eats. I don't buy candy-like items(i.e fruit roll ups, pop tarts, etc) I buy Crystal Light instead of Kool Aid, she eats fruits, and veggies, crackers instead of cookies. She will eat treats such as ice cream, cookies, candy-only on occasion.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgsharber
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM

To an extent, but my kids are VERY active. They spend about 4 hours outside everyday and almost no TV. My kids don't even know what video games are, so after all that activity, my kids can eat pretty much whatever they want (with in reason) because they need to replenish thier calories! Oh, and they only drink water during day. Their choice. 

CBtatt_splash-1.gif picture by whisperingdragon

carrieasia
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

i cook pretty healthy.  dd is allowed one sweet thing a day, be it a few m&ms, a small icecream cone, or what not.  she is a pretty active child and we run around almost every day!  she gts soda only when we go out to eat, i don't keep it in the house. 

CafeMom Tickers

IhartU
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

My kids eat whatever they want and none of them are fat. They love candy, cake, pop and kool aid, but they also eat fruit and veggies.

willysmama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I buy mostly healthy foods. And when we go out he generally has a pop with his meal. But other than that most of his sweets that he gets is from either grandparents or friends that watch him.

lyott07
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM

No because what I do is... if my son wants like.. a piece of candy, cake.. etc.... I first ask him to eat something healthy. Like fruit,yogurt, etc. Also if my son eats almost all his meal, I let him eat whatever sugar thing he wants. SOMETIMES though he's too full from that healthy snack I ask him to eat first.

I was worried if that was the right thing to do so I ask his pediatrician and he said that it was actually a good idea.

Lupe

tattedmommynlj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I definately watch the intake of sugar... i know what happened to me cuz of eating candy and junk as a kid and i dont want that for my kid. He still gets his fruit snacks once or twice a day (when we have them) and gets a piece of candy here and there and every couple weeks he'll ask for a pop which i dont mind because we drink sprite which has a little less sugar and no caffiene. And he is 24/7 active and we eat food from scratch so its all balanced  so if he gets a little extra sugar a day its ok cuz he burns off everything he eats and is a skinny/healthy lil man.

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

MommaGreenhalge
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM

My DS is 20 months, and no, he does not eat sugar.  I had to put him in daycare for three days last week, and I almost had a conniption fit when I found out they had given him a marshmallow as a snack! 

DH and I both have family histories of obesity, and it is really hard for us to eat healthy, because we didn't learn it well as kids.  I want to give my kids every possible chance to avoid that.

angieluvsolivia
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I do to an extent.  She actually prefers fruit over cookies, candy, etc.  She rarely gets soda, maybe a sip here and there but I am lucky, she isn't picky and usually chooses healthier things.

imechard
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM

We eat healthy whole foods wherever we can. I make most things from scratch. I LOVE sweet stuff, I know it is not healthy but allow limited amount of sugar. We still have halloween candy left over from last year and that was ONLY the stuff that was acceptable to me, like no chewing gum and I got rid of anything that I do not like to limit the amount.

We do eat donuts and chocolate about once a week and have desert about twice a week

psychessun
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I don't buy a lot of junk.  sugar is not good for you at all.  I was just thinking earlier today that i don't think i've even bought a bag of sugar in over ten years.

the hypocritical part of this is i feel sugar is actually better for you than the chemcal substitutes like Splenda and all that crap, so if my kids do get junk they get it with sugar as close to real sugar as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)