Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new car seat after car accident?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM
  • 19 Replies

I just got into a car accident and it was a good one and I heard that once a carseat is in an accident you have to replace it? Is that true..and would the insurance company cover it?

Lindsay 06.14.2008

Pregnancy ticker

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlyssaRob1416
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Yes, that is true. I think insurance will pay for it, but I am not sure. You will have to contact your insurance on that one- or someone on here might know.

tattedmommynlj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

ohhh thats a tough one and i remember seeing the pic you had of the car... you could call and ask your local fire department. or police station cuz they will have that information for you and be able to inspect the car seat.

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM

yep. Replace them. The insurance company SHOULD cover it.

Proud mom of Dylan, 6 years old, EH'd in a Britax Regent and Trinity, 3 years old, ERF'd in a Britax Marathon

MommyBoha and babyboomboom...part of the conspiracy to RF kids till they graduate high school...:)

Christine0813
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Yes. You should always replace a car seat even in a minor accident. There may be unseen damage. I'm sure it weakens it as well. To me my child worth the extra money.

Married mother with three children, Daniel, Seth, Olivia and SM to Nicole. Owner of Northeast Ohio Mothers   Member of Mommies of Toddler Boys   Member of 2nd Grade 2009  Member of Raising Girls  Member of Ohio Stepmoms and Step/Blended Families

willysmama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I would replace it. And I do believe the insurance covers it.

Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM
Yes - the seat MUST be replaced.

The seat should be included as part of your claim.

There is no way any person can "inspect" for damage - damage can be totally invisible to the eye, but still compromise the seat.
akataml
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Yes its true, even if it is a mild accident. My husband was t boned, barely any damage to his vehuicle and the carseat had to be replaced. Insurance did not cover it 

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM

This is a little off topic but if the kids are not in the seat do they still have to be replaced?  I am just asking because most of the time dh has the car without the kids.

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.
Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM
Quoting cowboygal:

This is a little off topic but if the kids are not in the seat do they still have to be replaced?  I am just asking because most of the time dh has the car without the kids.

Yes - they must be replaced regardless of whether the seat was occupied or not, as the crash forces still acted upon the seat.
KaysMa07
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I have heard many times that you are supposed to replace it!! I mean if it wasnt damaged I am sure most people don't. In a way it's your own personal judgement. If it were me.. I would most def. replace it!!! I would always worry that it needed to be replaced.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)