Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BF Question.... I think my daughter is done

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM
  • 6 Replies

For the past week my DD has been very fussy and does not seem to want to BF. She will do it for 5mins then starts to get fussy and pushes my breast away. I think that my milkmay be drying up. If I give her a bottle of formula she will drink a full 8-9oz without any problem. She is only 5months old and I REALLY don't want to stop BF'ing but I think I may have to. I can squeeze my breast when she pulls away and still get milk to squirt out though.... Has anyone ever had this problem? Any solutions guys or should I just switch to formula. BTW I tried to pump but have NEVER been able to pump a full bottle. it takes me about 30 mins to pump 2oz. She is a healthy weight though, my doc says some people are just not able to pump.

A proud God fearing Baptist, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage because marriage is between a man and a woman only, Pro- Life because babies are a gift from God and shouldn't be killed for any reason, Hugs and Kisses everyday, Spanking when needed,  mommy to my 3 beautiful children!!
F- Forsaking
A- ALL
I- I
T- Take
H- Him

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM
Children do not naturally wean at this age.

Some kids go through a fussy period and she may be having a nursing strike.

Neither of these issues mean you have to wean however.

Check out kellymom.com for great resources on nursing strikes.
Jademom07
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM

You are right, some peoplejust can't get milk out with a pump.  It does sound like she is done, or have you changed your diet lately?  It may be something you have eaten.  Otherwise, 5 months is a good amount of time to have given her breastmilk.  Kudos momma.  Just let her lead, try to get her to latch and if she won't, you may just have to bottle feed instead. 

Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM
Quoting Jademom07:

You are right, some peoplejust can't get milk out with a pump.  It does sound like she is done, or have you changed your diet lately?  It may be something you have eaten.  Otherwise, 5 months is a good amount of time to have given her breastmilk.  Kudos momma.  Just let her lead, try to get her to latch and if she won't, you may just have to bottle feed instead. 

I would agree that some moms are not effective with the pump and no all pumps are equal.

However, I would not let a child decide when to wean at 5 months of age, since formula is a lesser alternative.

These issues are common and can be worked through if mom decides she wants to.
purplemoosemom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Hmm, babies go through periods or phases. And if you offer her a bottle of formula, instead of nursing her, she will discover how much easier it is to use a bottle. 

Don't offer her any bottles.  Keep offering her the chance to nurse--she won't starve herself.  Try changing the position you are nursing her in.  Make sure you haven't had anything strange to eat lately.  And just keep at it.  She'll get over it--but don't wean her--she isn't ready.  Babies don't self wean until after a year old. 

illiana707
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM

This. I would watch giving the bottles of formula. That will make you produce less milk in turn causing your daughter to prefer the bottle. It won't help you.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Children do not naturally wean at this age.

Some kids go through a fussy period and she may be having a nursing strike.

Neither of these issues mean you have to wean however.

Check out kellymom.com for great resources on nursing strikes.

potterpeaches
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Is she teething? This can sometimes affect a babies feeding habits. I woud persist with BFing and try pumping too to keep your supply going. I agree with others that say keep offering the breast. A baby will eat when they are hungry enough. It might just be a phase that will pass, or it might not. If you have to resort to giving formula as her main milk, I would still reccomend supplementing with breastmilk if you can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)