• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

switching over to a big boy bed..

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

In a few months my SO and I will be moving into another apartment and will FINALLY be on our own AGAIN!! We lived on our own at first but when we split up his dad and sister moved in with him and then we got back together and I moved back in so now all 5 of us live in a 2 bedroom apartment. I dont know WHY they didnt move back out whenever I moved back in but thats another story.. So in September our son will be 18 months and we'll finally be on our own to where he can have his OWN room well we'll be switching him from a crib to an actually bed but this is my first time doing this I dont know how to switch from a crib to a bed. And I dont want him trying to get out of his bed because he's scared of something and fall off. Yes I will be getting side rails for when he sleeps. And SO and I like to sleep with the door shut.. But our son doesnt know how to open the types of door knobs we will have to the bedrooms.. Yes we will have monitors but still.. And theres nights where I make our son cry himself to sleep no he doesnt cry ALL night just for a few minutes when I know he's fighting his sleep.. What do you do when they dont have bars keeping them in the bed haha. I never had the problem with my son being able to get out of the crib thank god.. But now I'll probably have the problem of him never sleeping in his bed..

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikkikry
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Our DD is 19 months old and we're trying to figure this out ourselves. We moved her out of the nursery and into her big girl room a few weeks ago. We're giving her a little bit of time to adjust to that change then we'll try out her toddler bed. We didn't want to throw too much change at her at one. I'm not sure how to do it or how to keep them in their beds and get them to go to sleep when they're not completely confined LOL. Good luck to you!!

CafeMom Tickers

in love I Married My High School Sweetheartttc

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I made the switch w/ my son at 15months. He fell out at naptime once but not until the end.  One other time he got out and couldn't get back in it was too cute he fell asleep leaning against his bed w/ his head on his pillow.  Beyond that I've had no problems.  We would peak in after we knew he had been asleep for a lil while.  Any feet dangling off or what nah we'd just slide back on to the bed, he has a stuffed dog that he has to sleep w/ if it was on the floor we'd just pick up and lay it next to him just incase he'd wake up for a second looking for it.  

He's almost 22months now and sleeps great. He still doesn't get out of bed, he'll cry fuss or whatnah for me to come get him out of bed in the morning, I keep his door closed. As soon as I open the door he climbs right out of bed no issue. (he cries and fusses instead of calling my name because he's got a pretty bad speech delay)  Also whats cool about the switch was he started to sleep great as soon as we switched to the bed from the crib, guess he felt trapped w/ all those bars around him.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
I'm a do things the way you wanna do them sort of mom. Remember its okay to be different thought we learned that in grade school.
WuQina
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Currently my 2 yr old son is sleeping on his crib mattress on the floor.  He will be getting his big boy bed before the end of the month.  We're hoping he'll get the hang of sleeping on a mattress without falling off.   Rails are on the standby if necessary for the big bed.  He's a really good climber of furniture so while he's awake he should be ok getting in and out of bed, etc.  Like you the concern is while sleeping and it's only a matter of time.  It took a couple of mornings, but he got the hang of waiting for us to release him from his room.  He does sort of know how to open doors (we don't have door knob covers), but he doesn't try as he keeps himself occupied with his toys and books.

Good Luck!

meganjjones
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM

We just did this last friday.  My son is almost 20 months old.  I was freaking out too.  The first night I laid on the floor in front of his door and pretended to sleep.  He played for a bit than curled up next to me and fell asleep.  We moved him to his bed and he slept there all night.  Now we put him in bed, turn the monitor on, and close the door.  We hear him get up and play for a bit, but always with in the hour he's in his bed and sound asleep.  He does this for nap time too.   I think it helps that his crib converted to a toddler bed so it was the same bed - just a different side on it.

KBM99
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I had plans on doing it sooner but couldnt because we all had to share a room.. But once we move into our own place again he will FINALLY have his own room and be switched over to a big boy bed. When he takes naps he sleeps in our bed and does just fine.. But we do have to put him to sleep with a sippy cup and he drinks it but doesnt fall asleep with it and once he's done drinking it he will put it beside him and then roll over and go to sleep for nap time haha. Thats cute about him leaning against the bed haha.

I know he knows how to get out of the bed because when he wakes up from naps he'll bang on the door until we come get him haha

Quoting o0gone0o:

I made the switch w/ my son at 15months. He fell out at naptime once but not until the end.  One other time he got out and couldn't get back in it was too cute he fell asleep leaning against his bed w/ his head on his pillow.  Beyond that I've had no problems.  We would peak in after we knew he had been asleep for a lil while.  Any feet dangling off or what nah we'd just slide back on to the bed, he has a stuffed dog that he has to sleep w/ if it was on the floor we'd just pick up and lay it next to him just incase he'd wake up for a second looking for it.  

He's almost 22months now and sleeps great. He still doesn't get out of bed, he'll cry fuss or whatnah for me to come get him out of bed in the morning, I keep his door closed. As soon as I open the door he climbs right out of bed no issue. (he cries and fusses instead of calling my name because he's got a pretty bad speech delay)  Also whats cool about the switch was he started to sleep great as soon as we switched to the bed from the crib, guess he felt trapped w/ all those bars around him.

KBM99
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

My sons bed converts too but I'm not really for sure how?? And I think I'm just going to convert it to the full size bed..

Quoting meganjjones:

We just did this last friday.  My son is almost 20 months old.  I was freaking out too.  The first night I laid on the floor in front of his door and pretended to sleep.  He played for a bit than curled up next to me and fell asleep.  We moved him to his bed and he slept there all night.  Now we put him in bed, turn the monitor on, and close the door.  We hear him get up and play for a bit, but always with in the hour he's in his bed and sound asleep.  He does this for nap time too.   I think it helps that his crib converted to a toddler bed so it was the same bed - just a different side on it.

mrsmoore02
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

We put DD in her twin bed a couple of months ago.  She fell out of it 2 times.  We got the extra high bed rail and a little step stool for her to use so she can get on and off by herself.  It took a little bit for her to get used to it, but now she's a pro--lol!!  If she gets up in the middle of the night, there is a baby gate up on her door so she can't get out.  She's also got a nightlight so she's not running around in the dark.  It'll take some getting used to, but before you know it, he'll have no problems.

KBM99
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Yea I will be investing in a night light haha.. And the thing that scares me about a step stool is I dont want him to try and go down the normal way I want him to crawl down it haha because he tries to walk down our stairs like a big boy and almost falls haha. But he knows how to crawl off the side of the bed so I might just let him stick to that instead of a step stool haha..
Or wait do you just have one of those one step stools not the two or three ones haha

Quoting mrsmoore02:

We put DD in her twin bed a couple of months ago.  She fell out of it 2 times.  We got the extra high bed rail and a little step stool for her to use so she can get on and off by herself.  It took a little bit for her to get used to it, but now she's a pro--lol!!  If she gets up in the middle of the night, there is a baby gate up on her door so she can't get out.  She's also got a nightlight so she's not running around in the dark.  It'll take some getting used to, but before you know it, he'll have no problems.

mrsmoore02
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM

We've got the single step stool for DD.  We spent a lot of time showing her and working with her on using it.  She crawls to the end of her bed, rolls onto her tummy, flings her legs over the side, finds her little stool, and climbs down. 

Quoting KBM99:

Yea I will be investing in a night light haha.. And the thing that scares me about a step stool is I dont want him to try and go down the normal way I want him to crawl down it haha because he tries to walk down our stairs like a big boy and almost falls haha. But he knows how to crawl off the side of the bed so I might just let him stick to that instead of a step stool haha..
Or wait do you just have one of those one step stools not the two or three ones haha

Quoting mrsmoore02:

KBM99
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:46 PM

haha thats cute..

Quoting mrsmoore02:

We've got the single step stool for DD.  We spent a lot of time showing her and working with her on using it.  She crawls to the end of her bed, rolls onto her tummy, flings her legs over the side, finds her little stool, and climbs down. 

Quoting KBM99:

Quoting mrsmoore02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)