Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Wife VS Civilian Wife ***edit***

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM
  • 407 Replies

Poll

Question: Do Military Wives or Civilian Wives have it tougher?

Options:

Military

Civilian

Both

Neither

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 483

View Results

the post SAHM VS WM got me thinking, who do you think has it rougher??  LoL....

Does the military wife have it rougher then the civilian wife or vice versa??

I think that military has it rougher in some areas and then in some areas the civilian wife has it rougher.  But if you want my honest opinion, us military wives have it rougher.  Anyone whos husband has deployed for 12-15 months knows what I am talking about.  :-]  We all know the minute our husbands deploy all hell is going to break loose.  The car breaks down, the washing machine floods the laundry room, the a/c goes out, finance screwed up his paycheck again, etc etc etc etc etc.....notice when they get back tho NOTHING goes wrong??  LoL

Anyway, just curious to see who has it rougher!!  {i really think mothers and wives in general have it tough...lol...but we always seem to handle things and push forward!!! :-} 

*wow, amazing how one person can turn a whole post into a bashing post! 

The reason I asked this question is because me and my bff talk about this all the time, she is civilian, she came to visit me while my husband was deployed, she said there is NO way she could be a military wife, so we just started comparing.  It wasn't meant to cause drama, omg can we just have a discussion without anyone getting pissy or wondering why a post is made??  Hell if that was the case I wonder why half the posts in this site are made. 

I do like to see the comparisons tho, I have no clue what civilian life is like, so those of you that answered without attitude or nastiness, thank you, my husband is thinking of retiring, his 20 yrs is up and I have no idea how to handle civilian life, I have been military my whole 38 yrs.  I wasn't trying to imply that one wife is more important then the other.  *****

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USMCBride08
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM

LOL i voted military bc i am one :) itd be nice to have dh around all the time :( i miss him  

bxbsmommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM

There should be no comparing....we're all wives and mothers at the end of the day.  Nothing one wife goes through will be the same for the older.  What one military wife goes through will not be the same as the next military wife.  What's up with all this comparing? 

iheartmyshaman
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I think I'm not even going to go there and say that military and civilian wives have it equally rough in different ways. 

For instance.  Military wives may have their husbands absent, for long periods of time, which sucks, but their husband is paid, and a lot of civilian wives are dealing with husbands getting laid off, so while he is at the house 24/7, they aren't bringing in any income.

There are so many different examples.  I think we all have it rough over all! 

~*~Valerie Anna~*~ Loving Wife to Trevor, Mother to Natalie & Isabel

Mom2jngnc

Other: I think it depends on what the Civilian husband does for a living.

My Dh is a paid paramedic with an ambulance corp and a volunteer firefighter, so 4 days a week I am a "single" mother. As he leaves before the kids get up, and in the event he sees overtime avail. he doesn't get home until tehy are in bed. 

Stephannie, Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

monkeysmom2003

militay!! bow down

I would love to have some amigas !! that
also speak Spanish .(I'm Mexican but raised in the USA) I'm a stay at
home mom of two kids  . a five year old boy and a two year old girl .
they are my world .. my dh is American and we met in high school .we
got secretly married on march 19 2003.. during spring break .  and on
our honeymoon we each went to our own home to sleep , also i do believe
in a god , but not in the bible. so if you will like to know me better
send me a friend request .. O yeah I write better in Spanish!

lovinmyseabee09
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

yeah i can see this getting super ugly..lol. i think it is subjective. having it rough that it....it all depends on your outlook.

wives of police officers, fire fighters, corrections officers...ect ect...they constantly worry for their hubby's safety too.

{ insert pissy little paragraph about how my views are better than yours here }

bxbsmommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

People who have civilian jobs can be gone for long periods as well.

Quoting iheartmyshaman:

I think I'm not even going to go there and say that military and civilian wives have it equally rough in different ways. 

For instance.  Military wives may have their husbands absent, for long periods of time, which sucks, but their husband is paid, and a lot of civilian wives are dealing with husbands getting laid off, so while he is at the house 24/7, they aren't bringing in any income.

iheartmyshaman
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Very true!  Trucker wives, salesman wives, etc...just because he's not overseas doesn't mean he can't be absent. =/

Quoting bxbsmommy:

People who have civilian jobs can be gone for long periods as well.

Quoting iheartmyshaman:

~*~Valerie Anna~*~ Loving Wife to Trevor, Mother to Natalie & Isabel

ArmyWifey4907
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I voted both.  We shouldn't have to compare the two.  I'm a military wife, yet I don't go around saying or thinking that my life is any harder than a civilian wife.  We all have different hardships, different things to deal with.  That doesn't make one any harder than the other.

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I'm a military wife and there shouldn't be any kind of comparison between military and civilian wives. Everyone has it just as rough. I don't think just because my husband deploys i have it rougher. I'd still be doing all the same things whether he were here or not.  This whole post is going to turn ugly and become a bash fest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)