• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 month long ear infection?!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

My niece has had an ear infection for four months. She's only 8 months old. My sister has taken her to the pediatrician countless times, and she's been on countless antibiotics. Almost two months ago she had tubes put in. While her ears are draining (which is good) the infection STILL won't go away. At least twice a week my sister is on the phone with the pediatrician and/or ENT. So far, all they do is give her one rx for such & such antibiotic, wait til my niece finishes it, then give her another one.

Am I the only one thinking that after 4 months, they should be doing something other than prescribing antibiotics left and right?? 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TheFoo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Does she use a pacifier those are proven to increase ear infections...just a thought

minimom11107
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM

They should def. being doing something else especially an ENT. She could lose her hearing if it keeps going on and build up immunities to the antibiotics. I's go to another ENT and get a second opinion if I were her.

Pregnancy ticker

JudeandLucy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:42 PM

No, no binkies. She has a cleft pallat so she has no suction.

I told my sister it's about time they started looking into the cause of the infection rather than just treating it, because obviously the treatments aren't working. Not that I have the slightest clue myself, but someone should be doing something! 

And that's what I said, I'd be concerned she's going to end up losing her hearing :-( 

TheFoo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Well.. shoot....yea I would definatly take her in to be checked again...maybe even by an audiologist (hearing dr)  or a ENT dr to make sure nothing has been damaged. There has to be a cause...infections dont just pop out of no where there is always a reason.

MommaGreenhalge
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I had chronic ear infections for about four or five months when I was in middle school.  It was SO PAINFUL!  All they did was give me antibiotics (they got stronger the longer I had the infections).  However, for an eight month old, I would think they would do more.  Also, I remember the last time I went in, the doctor said if I came back and it wasn't better, that we would need to talk about surgery.

Missy_Dye
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:24 PM

UHHH heck yeah the doctors need to get that child help or either momma needs to find a new doctors. antibotics after antibotics are not the best thing in the world

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)