Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone remember their WIC certification appt? (First appt)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

I get a letter in the mail saying this appointment could take up to two hours? I've been on WIC before, but for the life of me can't remember how long the initial appointment took...although I'm pretty sure it wasn't 2 hours... 

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but my appointment is at 2pm and I'm borrowing my sisters car to get there while she sits with DS. Her DD has a doctors appointment at 4:20pm. 

I know, smart thing would be just to reschedule in case, but I'm due in 9 days (it's taken me this long to get the paperwork needed from my doctors office!) and *really* would like to get in there before I go into labor, lol.   

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM

it depnds how busy your local wic office is. mine took long adn it was mostly the waiting the app itself took like 30 mts

I am a feed your baby what you want, public bf supported,pro-life,pro immigration, lover of animals. co-sleeping ,vaccinating, gun supporter, colombain girl in love with a us. marine (aka my hubby' mistress)
Lez_Lizzard
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM

mine didnt take that long but the people were snotty

How can i stand the darkness without a distant glow?
How should i cross the desert without a grain of hope?
How can i face the silence without a voice that's near?
And while i feel the raindrops I'm on the verge of tears.

lcappytan05

I think it really depends on the office. I think they put 2hours just to be safe. My first appt. took about 45min to an hour, but that was because she was having me fill out paperwork and asking me questions...things like that....

ProudMom9799

I'm in NJ - my first appt for WIC this round only took maybe an hr. But it was at the mobile office they use. They also do them at the health center where I live and those appts can take forever sometimes.  tough call...sorry could not be more help 

minimom11107

Mine took awhile but not 2 hours although waiting could take that long. Why don't you have her drop you off and call her when you're done? You might have to wait for her to finish at the Dr's appt for your neice but you could also be done before she even needs to go to the dr's. 

Pregnancy ticker

olivejuicebby
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Quoting Lez_Lizzard:

mine didnt take that long but the people were snotty

hmm.. same here.

Photobucket

JudeandLucy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Yeah. Fingers crossed that since I have every thing requested (proof of residency, income, identity), and even some stuff that they didn't ask for it won't take too too long. Maybe if I show up a little early...from my experience even with an appointment it's more or less first come, first served.

Quoting lcappytan05:

I think it really depends on the office. I think they put 2hours just to be safe. My first appt. took about 45min to an hour, but that was because she was having me fill out paperwork and asking me questions...things like that....

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I usually always figure an hour for our appointments, but our office always send the papers to fill out early in the mail. But if it is a certification appointment, your ds might need to be with you so they can weigh him.

For futue reference, if you are on medicaid too, you can often get transportation through them to any doctor, foodstamp or wic appointment.

jothra
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM

My first WIC one was 1.5 hours! First I had to wait for about 30 min, then the paperwork, then the videos, then the measurements, then the couseling. It was a big ol pain, but so worth it for the formula!

JudeandLucy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Esh, yeah two hours was about right! Well, an hour and 45 minutes.

I don't see the point in making appointments when they don't follow them. My appointment was at 2pm. I wasn't seen til 3:45pm. The woman then went on to get an attitude with me because I haven't changed my last name. I finally told her to put whatever name she deemed appropriate because I was tired of attempting to explain that Yes, I am married. No, my last name is not the same as his.

Oh well. It was a pain in the bum, but definitely worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)