• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pre K Cirriculum?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

My daughter just falls short this fall of being able to be enrolled in PreK because of where her birthday is (october she'll be 4) I'm wondering roughly because I'm sure it might be different from state to state but what's the general cirriculum for preK? What is it that they go over and do? I'm thinking about "homeschooling" her this year and I'd like to teach her those things to be ready to join next fall. I have some work books for preschool and pre K but i'm just wondering if anyone has any other ideas besides just those work books?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mnmsmom2008
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM

http://www.kidzone.ws/

http://www.starfall.com/

These are the two websites that we use frequently.  My daughter is exactly one year older than yours but here she was able to start pre at 3 years.  Off the top of my head, alphabet recognition (upper and lowercase and out of order), colors, shapes, proper pencil grib, scissors, then just the usual painting, coloring, singing and playing.

Earth-Angel
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM

My dd is 4 and she has been in Pre K since she was 2 1/2! Well, they called it early pre K then and they start off with babies in Early Pre K!  At 3 or 3 1/2 it was just Pre K and she will be in it for her 3rd year this year bc her bday is in November and that's when she'll be 5, to late to start Kindergarten until next year. Anyway, they need to know most of their colors and shapes, counting, at least to 10 if not higher. They have to know their full name, their birth date, the whole alphabet, try to recognize letters, opposites, memory games, matching, like things that go together. They also do physical things like dancing, singing, music, jumping. etc.  You can get Pre K activity books, I believe you said you have. You can get Pre K flash cards, I have these for my dd and she loves them. Anyway, they also do art, drawing, painting, coloring, practice writing. I have an easil that my dd can draw on, color and attach paper on and she uses chalk on the chalkboard side and markers on the drawing side and I got her magnetic letters, she loves them all and use them everyday. I didn't know if you wanted to know all this, but this is how my state does things with Pre K and what age. Sorry, I can't be much help. GL!

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Preschooler Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

momto3infl
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:29 PM

In our prek for our youngest she just went this past fall-classroom rules (she is at the reg elementary school for prek class), They did outside time, lunch time, PE, and art in class.  They were read to and worked on some what you might think will happen does happen and things like that with reading-which we do at home anyways.  All the alphabet uppercase and lower case and having to recongize in a test setting numbers up to 20 same with testing setting.  Worked on sharing and behaviors.  They also did some science projects like grew a garden and other things along that line.   All colors primary-and also all shapes including the cross and rhombus.

Isaacsmom5354
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM

When I was a paraprofessional in a Pre-K class a few years ago we used the Highreach curriculum. They have a website you can check out. I really liked it. Good Luck!

Xstitchinmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I'm a pre-k teacher. My preschool just switched over to the High Reach curriculum last Spring. I'm still trying to get use to it, but the kids enjoy the themes. Here's more about the High Reach curriculum:

http://curriculum.highreach.com/highreach_cms/PhilosophybrApproach/tabid/80/Default.aspx

michele.gif picture by Michele34_photo

adamjackie
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Thanks for posting this. My dd will be 4 in Oct. 26 days shy of the cutoff. I am homeschooling this year until she can go to Pre-k next year. Thanks lasies for the info, even if I am not the OP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)