Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School & Teens

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM
  • 28 Replies

I have a question....if you had a 16 yr old daughter, would you allow her to take her entire 11th grade on a virtual school website instead of going to high school? 

My daughter wants to do this and then return to school for her 12th grade year.  I just don't know about this.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stuckinamess
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I would contact her school counselor and make sure that they will accept the virtual school classes for credit. I'd ask for it in writing also from the school board. What is her reasoning for wanting to do this? What does she plan on doing while doing this? Another thing, is I have heard that a lot of the virtual classes are extremely hard.

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

bergmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I would absolutely let her- but then, we're homeschoolers, so... LOL   So I guess I would say that it depends on why she wants to. Is she being bullied? Is it for academic reasons? Is she just over it? LOL All of those seem like good enough reasons to me!

MommaGreenhalge
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM

It would depend on the kid and her reasons for wanting to do this.  Also, it would depend on what she was doing with the time she would ordinarily be in school, and whether anyone else would be home during the day.  It would depend on if she had a job.  It would depend on how well she was doing in school and why.  There are a lot of factors here.

TheFoo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Nope i would not let her. High School is where kids develop many social emotional skills and bonds. She would be missing so much. What are her reasons for not attending the High School? Will she miss her junior prom, spring and winter formals, not being in the yearbook or having one, school activites, homecoming? There are so many things that she will miss and could possibly regret missing.

PortiaCat
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM
I think the social part of school is very important. But, if she is having some trouble at school, fitting in, being bullied, or something like that, then I might consider it. Some classes are fine online and some are very difficult to take and be successful in online. I am a teacher and we offer our students some online classes. Some students are extremely goal oriented and self-directed and do great. Other students feel too isolated and overwhelmed trying to learn in an online class. So there are many variables here to consider.
PortiaCat-new on Cafemom
momaof8
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I did it was awesome! She ended up graduating top of her class.

Check out my book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Yes-They-Are-All-Mine/Linda-Dyson/e/9781438909295/?itm=3   You can help save lives check it out !

reading

Mom2theboy1994
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I sure would! :) But we are former homeschoolers, and I am a homeschooling advocate (even though my son is headed back to a regular school in a week's time, lol.)

TheFoo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Being bullied, not fitting in, ect I dont think are reasons for a student to leave school. What happens when she gets to college or in a work setting and not everyone adores her or she doesnt fit in....should she just stay home and do everything online? They need to learn to cope and handle themselves in these situations...they are like life lessons that are very important IMO

Quoting PortiaCat:

I think the social part of school is very important. But, if she is having some trouble at school, fitting in, being bullied, or something like that, then I might consider it. Some classes are fine online and some are very difficult to take and be successful in online. I am a teacher and we offer our students some online classes. Some students are extremely goal oriented and self-directed and do great. Other students feel too isolated and overwhelmed trying to learn in an online class. So there are many variables here to consider.

MommaGreenhalge
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Quoting TheFoo:

Nope i would not let her. High School is where kids develop many social emotional skills and bonds. She would be missing so much. What are her reasons for not attending the High School? Will she miss her junior prom, spring and winter formals, not being in the yearbook or having one, school activites, homecoming? There are so many things that she will miss and could possibly regret missing.

You've got to be kidding me.  Prom?  Homecoming?  Yearbook?  I was in Public High School, and I didn't do those things.  And I definitely don't regret it.

youngmomma259
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:59 PM

That's what i did for 9th grade, but you need to make sure that the school that she chooses is accredited with the right accredidation for your area!!! Find the school, then go and ask your boundary school what they will accept since she will be going back. I had to make up all of my 9th grade year because of this. Though, it was nice to be able to do my schooling at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)