Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No nuts at school?! ETA PICTURE!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM
  • 1096 Replies

Would you be mad if you couldn't pack any nut products in your child's lunch for school? Say another child in the classroom is severely allergic...

(NO PB&J SANDWICHES, CHEX MIX, PEANUT BUTTER CRACKERS, ETC.)

*Just wanted to add: It's MY daughter that is severely allergic to peanuts. She is starting preschool next year and they agreed to make her classroom nut free. I am very grateful they are so understanding and I hope the other parents will be understanding also.

Symptoms of an allergic reaction to peanuts:

• sense of foreboding, fear, or apprehension
  • flushed face, hives, swollen or itchy lips, mouth, eyes, or tongue
  • tightness in mouth, chest or throat
  • difficulty breathing or swallowing, drooling, wheezing, choking, coughing
  • running nose, voice change
  • vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, stomach pains
  • dizziness, unsteadiness, sudden fatigue, rapid heartbeat, chills
  • pallor, loss of consciousness, coma, death

So my daughter has to risk all of this so your child can eat a PB&J sandwich?

I just wanted to clarify: At our preschool, other parents can pack products that are 'processed on the same equipment' or 'may contain traces of peanuts'. This is okay because of other precautions such as not sharing food and handwashing after eating. They cannot pack foods that directly have peanuts in them like peanut butter, peanut butter cookies, candy bars with peanuts, treats made with peanut butter, etc.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faithfulmomof1
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM

no I wouldnt be mad, that allergy is very serious and often life threating so now I wouldnt be mad at not risking a childs life

I love to edit  photos and make siggys,  PM me some pics and what you want on it and I will make you more then one to choose from. 

WAHM_Teresa
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Are they saying no nuts like for snack time that all the kids share or even no nuts in your own childs private lunch?  Theres no way to regulate the later one unless they inspect every kids lunch box everyday.

2brats1chkymnky
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM

This has been a rule at every school around the area from what I have known. So I suppose that since i know no different that I have no problem with it if it saves 1 kids life. Is it an inconvenience? Yes it is but that one kid may thank you one day.

applemom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM

nope.  Having kids in school i understand that they sometimes share...especially snacks.  If someone is allergic (though I would not feel at fault) and has a reaction because my child shared, I would still feel bad for that child/family.  Also, it would have an impact on my own child.  Just because a child knows they are allergic to something like peanuts doesn't mean they go reading every ingredient label before sharing someone's snack.  And they're kids...they will share/swap snacks regardless of what you tell them.

mommyto2girls00
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM

You can't bring nuts into the classroom, period. Not in private lunches/snacks or classroom treats.

Quoting WAHM_Teresa:

Are they saying no nuts like for snack time that all the kids share or even no nuts in your own childs private lunch?  Theres no way to regulate the later one unless they inspect every kids lunch box everyday.

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM

There was a kid in my son's Kindergarten who was allergic to peanuts, but we never had to keep peanut products out of our children's lunches. If kids are allergic to gluten are parents going to be asked to stop sending sandwiches in for lunch.  I don't get it. If the kid isn't eating your kid's lunch, then why are they banning certain foods being brought into school? They don't do this at my children's school. I just remembered that we got a note from the teacher stating that kids were not allowed to share or trade lunches. That's how my school deals with it and I'm glad. Peanut butter sandwiches are way cheaper than lunch meat sandwiches.

Mom2theboy1994
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Nope. I would be accommodating to the situation. My thought is, my child will survive without a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a packet of peanuts for the seven hours he's at school. The child who is allergic may not survive if it is there. It's a no brainer.

I would also like to believe if my child had an illness that could potentially kill him, and the simple solution was to ask that a single product not be brought to school, that other parents would be compassionate enough to understand, and try to help!

Karinza

Quoting april1365:

no. you would be grateful for the other parents not packing peanut products if it was your child with the allergy.

Keri: Writer & Novelist
Wife to Mike, Stepmom to Nik, Mommy to Danica,
Adoptive Mommy to Enzo, Pac, Sally & Oreo!
in loveamerican footballtoddler girlpuppy(x4)

imechard

Not a big deal to me

HeatherMae55
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM

NO!  Why on earth would I be mad?  To prevent a child from having a severe allergic reaction I'd jump through hoops...

I always ask my sons daycare if anyone has peanut allergies before I pack his food - he doesn't go there often so when he does I'm sure to ask..

Blame Straight People   prochoice.jpg pro choice image by thekiltedyaksmendefault.jpg leagalize dont pentalize marijuana image by earlsworld70117

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)