• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New study shows how dangerous TEXTING WHILE DRIVING really is

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM
  • 21 Replies

Texting While Driving-A New Study Shows How Dangerous it is

Joe Saunders
Attorney
(866) 735-1102 Ext 340
Visit Joe Saunders on Avvo

Posted by Joe SaundersJuly 28, 2009 10:27 AM

A new study demonstrating the extreme danger of texting while driving appeared on the front page of the NY Times today. The study involved installing video equipment in the cabs of long haul truckers for 18 months. The results showed that the risk of an accident while texting was 23 times greater than when not texting. This is significantly higher than earlier estimates reported. Of course, this should be a no-brainer for all of us. However, for some drivers the temptation to text while drive or read email messages while behind the wheel is often too great too avoid. Yet the consequences can be devastating. The study estimated that in the time it took a trucker to read a text, the big rig could cover the length of an entire football field. In other words, during this entire time, the driver's attention and eyes are not focused on the road but on the electronic device.

I've personally witnessed this phenomenon. While driving in Florida the other day, the car in front of me suddenly swerved up onto the sidewalk before swerving back into her lane of traffic. As I approached the upcoming red light, I saw that the driver had a cell phone in hand and was texting!

It's high time to ban texting while driving. Fourteen states do have such a ban. While it's difficult to enforce at times, the ban would send a message to drivers (as if they need more warning) that such behavior is dangerous and may cost someone a life.

toddler boyParker (6-1-07) baby boyColten (1-15-09) 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM
I think its incredibly sad and pathetic that there needed to be a study to show that texting while driving is dangerous. Seems like common sense to me.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Rhynestonefreak
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM

You would REALLY think it would be common sense! A family friend was on his motorcycle with his girlfriend, both 22 and a woman ran a stop sign and killed both of them. She was texting

Quoting wickedfiress:

I think its incredibly sad and pathetic that there needed to be a study to show that texting while driving is dangerous. Seems like common sense to me.

toddler boyParker (6-1-07) baby boyColten (1-15-09) 

Expectingpeanut
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I will say that I have been guilty of texting while driving.  I ONLY do it while stopped at signals or stop signs.  I have a full key board on my phone so it is fast enough for me to be done before the light turns usually.

Kind of off the subject but I have seen people reading novels while driving.  SCARY isn't it!

JuliaW
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Quoting wickedfiress:

That's just what I was thinking! Imagine the money they spent conducting the study ha.

awooding
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Seriously.

Quoting wickedfiress:

~~~

Money may help you get by in life,

but it can't teach you how to enjoy it.

TLVS
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Does there really need to be a study for this.  Seriously, of course it is dangerous.  How does this come as a shock to anyone.  This kind of shit annoys me.  Somebody spent thousands or millions to study this shit.

Kays_Mama06
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Quoting wickedfiress:

My thoughts exactly.

Paesana82
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:59 PM

You would think it is common sense, but apparently, there's a lot of idiots out there.

Some jerk texting while driving almost hit me and my kids while we were crossing the street today. People just don't think. 

Quoting wickedfiress:

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Kelli.and.Ellie
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:59 PM

there is  A LOT worse things ppl do when driving then JUST texting.....texting is just because newer and more done now 

Paesana82
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Ummm, so are you defending people who text and drive?

ANYTHING that takes your eyes off the road and actually driving is dangerous. Whether it's texting, reading, doing your makeup, looking at your kid.......ANYTHING. It's a danger to yourself, your passengers and to everyone around you.

Quoting Kelli.and.Ellie:

there is  A LOT worse things ppl do when driving then JUST texting.....texting is just because newer and more done now 

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)