Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

police officer uses tazer on stray....GRAPHIC!!!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM
  • 8 Replies
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommasbois
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Heres the story.

The muscular, mostly white animal has the appearance of a pit bull terrier, and according to employees at the shelter an unpredictable temper. It's the type of dog the City of Lakewood banished last year in a controversial breed specific law that targets unregistered pit bulls.

The dog was corralled by police near the intersection of Plover Avenue and Robin streets Saturday morning after several residents called 911 to report a stray that was roaming the streets barking and chasing people.

A police report says officers observed the animal running towards people "in an aggressive fashion," stopping approximately ten to fifteen feet from them each time.

Officer Terry Lowther was leaving a nearby resident on another call when he says he saw the dog. "I immediately drew my service pistol and pointed it at the animal," Lowther reports.

As nearby residents came out of their homes to see what was happening, they were ordered back inside by police.

"The animal continued to bark and growl at me," Lowther reports. He decided not to shoot concerned that any of the rounds might result in ricochets that could endanger others.

When the dog seemed to calm down the officer exchanged his gun for a taser. A video camera mounted on the taser shows the dog, which was not muzzled once again barking and growling at the officer. When the animal makes another aggressive move Lowther fired the taser.

On the video the dog is heard to yelp as it drops to the ground. A second electronic burst was delivered through the taser as animal control officers harnessed it.

Police say the dog belongs to Daniel Kier who they found asleep in his apartment near the intersection. Kier was not home on Monday when Fox 8 News attempted to talk with him about the incident.

Keir was cited by police for allowing his dog to wander without a leash, and for having an unregistered pit bull. In the official police report he is quoted as telling the officers "sh#@ happens" when he was asked about the dog. He also told police that he believed the animal was a boxer, not a pit bull.

Keir will have an opportunity to appeal the arrest. In the meantime Lakewood's law gives him no option other than to get rid of the animal unless he can successfully win in his appeal.

KRISTAL_WILDER
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

What kind of an idiot keeps an aggresive dog? It should be put to sleep.

ElijahsMommy58
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM

See, its flippin stupid people like that, that make me so angry. I cant have my dog here because of them (I live in Lakewood) & I have a pit mix, she is a sweetheart, but yet I cant have her because dumbasses choose to keep/breed aggressive dogs!

Quoting mommasbois:

Heres the story.

The muscular, mostly white animal has the appearance of a pit bull terrier, and according to employees at the shelter an unpredictable temper. It's the type of dog the City of Lakewood banished last year in a controversial breed specific law that targets unregistered pit bulls.

The dog was corralled by police near the intersection of Plover Avenue and Robin streets Saturday morning after several residents called 911 to report a stray that was roaming the streets barking and chasing people.

A police report says officers observed the animal running towards people "in an aggressive fashion," stopping approximately ten to fifteen feet from them each time.

Officer Terry Lowther was leaving a nearby resident on another call when he says he saw the dog. "I immediately drew my service pistol and pointed it at the animal," Lowther reports.

As nearby residents came out of their homes to see what was happening, they were ordered back inside by police.

"The animal continued to bark and growl at me," Lowther reports. He decided not to shoot concerned that any of the rounds might result in ricochets that could endanger others.

When the dog seemed to calm down the officer exchanged his gun for a taser. A video camera mounted on the taser shows the dog, which was not muzzled once again barking and growling at the officer. When the animal makes another aggressive move Lowther fired the taser.

On the video the dog is heard to yelp as it drops to the ground. A second electronic burst was delivered through the taser as animal control officers harnessed it.

Police say the dog belongs to Daniel Kier who they found asleep in his apartment near the intersection. Kier was not home on Monday when Fox 8 News attempted to talk with him about the incident.

Keir was cited by police for allowing his dog to wander without a leash, and for having an unregistered pit bull. In the official police report he is quoted as telling the officers "sh#@ happens" when he was asked about the dog. He also told police that he believed the animal was a boxer, not a pit bull.

Keir will have an opportunity to appeal the arrest. In the meantime Lakewood's law gives him no option other than to get rid of the animal unless he can successfully win in his appeal.

My loves <3 Sr. Airman Walker && G. Elijah

ktwister
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Yet another animal has to suffer because of their so called owners stupidty.

hautemama83
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Its really hard to try and form an opinion on this entire thing. Honestly in the video it looked like to lens was covered for the part where the dog was suppose to be tasered, so its really hard to see if the officer was in the right or in the wrong. I can say that if it were me, and I felt that an animal of any kind was going to possibly harm or attack me I would do the same. At least he didn't shoot the dog and kill it, which I know here it Cali, if an officer feels threatened by a dog they can shoot and kill it no questions asked. BTW the dogs owner sounds like a complete jackass, who didn't care too much about the dog anyway.

in lovebaby boygirl on a swing

BoxerMomma
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

The video was fuzzy but it looked like a boxer not a pit to me.  Do they have to register boxer's too?  I didn't turn the sound on either because I am at work but my male boxer will bark at you when he wants to play with you.  The owner doesn't need a dog though!  He sounds rather stupid.

ElijahsMommy58
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Quoting BoxerMomma:

The video was fuzzy but it looked like a boxer not a pit to me.  Do they have to register boxer's too?  I didn't turn the sound on either because I am at work but my male boxer will bark at you when he wants to play with you.  The owner doesn't need a dog though!  He sounds rather stupid.

I thought its physical features looks somewhat like a boxer as well. Maybe boxer/pitt mix? Thats just another way to show that the media always ASSUMES it is a pittbull. Sometimes it could be an animal that looks a tad bit pitt & then they automatically assume thats what it is.

My loves <3 Sr. Airman Walker && G. Elijah

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I didn't find that the least bit graphic, and I'm usually sensitive about things like that. The officer did what he had to do to an animal that was endangering him and other people nearby. I don't blame him one bit. I'm glad he didn't shoot it, THAT would have been graphic, I couldn't watch something like that. Poor dog....would have been a sweet loving pet if it had been raised by decent human beings. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)