Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This phrase pisses me off to no end.... **EDIT IN RED**

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM
  • 29 Replies

"Well, they knew what they were getting into..."

This, of course, being the ever so "popular" phrase when any military spouse complains about something.

Seriously, people?

Yes, I have the right to complain even though my DH serves his country just like any other spouse has the right to complain about their husband's job.

Why do we get singled out and aren't "allowed" to complain? I'm sure this phrase gets used with the wives of men who have dangerous jobs (i.e. policeman, firefighter, etc.)...but I wouldn't know because I married a soldier.

So, a soldier gets blown up by a roadside bomb...but wait, oh well. He knew what he was getting into and so did his family.....

it makes me sick.

**EDIT** Okay, so maybe I should have clarified a bit more....

I know that this phrase is universal with just about anything...and that is partially my point (even though I didn't really make that clear above). Honestly, if this is all you can say to someone, then you really have no valid point at all.

I don't think I'm better than anyone else because my DH is in the military. I don't think that I should have anymore of a right to complain than anyone else.

My point is: I should have the right to voice my complaint just like any other human being should. From my experience (personally...not saying it's true), it's all fine and dandy until a military spouse opens their mouth to complain.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psychessun
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM

you also knew what you were getting into when you become a stepparent.

haha

Daemons_mommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:59 PM

It actually gets thrown out there for a LOT of things. Sometimes you DON'T know what you are getting into. You might have had a totally different idea of how a situation was going to be.

Everyone has the right to vent. Even if they 100% knew what they were getting into :)

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM

When did he join?

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
ElijahsMommy58
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

haha Idc if people use that to me..I'll bitch if I want to. :)

My loves <3 Sr. Airman Walker && G. Elijah

psychessun
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

you knew what you were getting into posting this on CM.

adamjackie
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM

lmao that one is true. OP I hate that phrase too. I feel though it is used on everyone in some degree and not just military.

Quoting psychessun:

you knew what you were getting into posting this on CM.

lcappytan05

October 2007

But, I come from a military family...so I "knew" all about that life before I met my DH.

Quoting laranadtony:

When did he join?

RmeWifey01

Some people are just cold hearted, and have no compassion. They'll get theirs someday!

ProudMom9799
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM

"You knew he was like that when you married him"  LOL yes I did. Doesnt mean that I cant bitch about him when he pisses me off. :) 

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Quoting lcappytan05:

October 2007

But, I come from a military family...so I "knew" all about that life before I met my DH.

Quoting laranadtony:

When did he join?

Kooley joined in 2007 and everyone is boo hooing about him leaving.He is glad,his only regret is that he did not get to leave during the bush administration.And like he says"If I get killed over there,i will die with honor ,not ina car full of drunks acting a fool">

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)