Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I overreacting? (Long Rant)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM
  • 2 Replies
Background- My parent's purchased this house on a Land Contract in '99 in '04 they decided to purchase a different house when they sold the house I was living in and sell me the house that I'm currently living in. We have basically taken over the mortgage although the Land Contract holder doesn't know anything more then I was added to the deed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now Our Car got a flat tire over the weekend and I told them I was going to have to short them the cost of the tire this week (we had some stuff happen over the past couple of weeks that made us short) and she said fine that they just had to have $50 to get them pet food and such till the 3rd (they are both disabled). Then she started to go on about used tires being cheaper I told her I couldn't find any at the local places and the cost of a new tire was $65. Then she had my step-father go check the tires on their broke down (for the last 4 years) pick up to see if they would fit on the car.

Now They had a barn fire a few months ago that completely destroyed 1 vehicle and some how this truck survived the fire even though the barn was destroyed and it sat directly in front of the burnt out barn office. So I just couldn't wrap my head around using tires that she wanted me to use tires that had been like 3 feet from a HUGE fire. Instead of arguing I started to as rational questions like their "they would work" comment meaning they are the wrong something...

I asked about MPG and the aspect Ratio and then the fact that they have been sitting for 4+ years so not only do they face dry rot but also the fact that rubber deteriorates in fire. I said I was concerned that something could happen while I have my DD's in the vehicle with me because of these factors...

I was feeling like all they were thinking about was getting their money and not about my safety or my Daughter's, so I told them fine we'll figure out a way to buy a new tire w/o taking any of their money (which I would have repaid in $10 or more intervals) and I told her "You know what we'll just find a way to buy a new tire w/ taking any money from you IDK how but I'm just not comfortable using a tire that was that close to a fire"

She told me that wasn't the point and I told her that was how it came across and she told me that I was wrong.

My mother then said "we would be fine and you'd have to pay us back anyway so it would be costing you long term.. not us.. just trying to help YOU. We're not that bad off that we would jeopardize you or the girls safety!"

I'd rather have a new tire then take a chance on one that was so close to a fire... am I wrong? Did I take it the wrong way? My mom is so good at making me feel like it's my fault that I feel like I should have just taken the chance on myself and My DD's safety just to please them...

~TTFN~

baby

baby

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Natashath09
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM
sound's like they were just tryng to figure out a way to save everyone some money, i dont think that they were being selfish or anything.

<3 Proud Young Mommy

Tempest41
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:22 PM
The thing that led me to leap to the conclusion of she just wanted her money is because in the past she's had a fit if I didn't get the money to her before bed on Thursday. My SO had to start depositing the money before coming home on Thursdays so I could send her an immediate payment via PayPal. Because if she doesn't get the money by bedtime I get a call first thing in the morning wanting to know where her $$ was and she gets the same answer every-time...

She's even had a fit when I short her for something she ASKED me to p/u on my way there so that I can pay for it :sigh:

I love my mother but the older she's gotten the more concerned about where her money is has grown but not her concern about how MUCH she spends.

I'm sorry I've laid this all on everyone here but if I didn't have CafeMom I'd be stewing in it

~TTFN~

baby

baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)