• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our water was shut off, sort of. Update

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM
  • 31 Replies

About an hour ago a city worker came to our house. I knew this was coming because nearly all our utilities are close to being shut off. I don't know what to do about that since my employer has still not paid me nearly $700 for expenses and my last stipend was $400 less than it should be. We have been screwed lately when it comes to money. SO started working at the beginning of this month but doesn't get his first check until the 31st (after everything is due) and my checks are just enough to cover food and necessities. This last check mostly went to fixing our car since I need it to work. Anywho, they left a note please pay in full today. It's only $158 but it might as well be $1000 when you don't have the money, kwim? The note says the water is shut off, but I checked and it's not. Maybe the worker was a good samaritan? Kind of strange. Maybe they are actually going to shut it off tomorrow? I've never had water disconnected so I don't know how it works. Ugh, I just needed to vent to someone because SO is at work and I'm home by myself with our two year old daughter. Has anyone ever had them shut it off but not actually shut it off? I'm trying to figure out what's going on here.

Update: It's all taken care of for now. I was able to come up with $50 and the rest is due in a month. I feel so much better now. Thank you all for the support and advice. I'm not very good in stressful situations and I usually panic and freeze. lol But, getting on here really helped me see the solution and what needed to be done. It's all good for now and I can relax for the rest of my day off! Whew!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stuckinamess
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

It's either turned off and you still have water in your hot water heater and in the pipes for it to run or they are giving you until close of business. Have you tried calling and working out a payment plan or asking if they have any financial help?

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

Leahmaria7981
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

A lot of times they will give you to the end of the buisness day and if it still hasn't been paid they will shut it off that afternoon.

tattedmommynlj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM

it could have been a last notice kind of thing... i dunno.. you can always see if you qualify for bill assistance.

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

madtan23
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM

It could be just what was left in the lines..If it starts turning darker or anything then it's off...Go out and see if your water meter is still running..Did you see them cut it off or does it say pay in full by such and such date? 

kabbima
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I agree.  I would call them and see if they can set up some sort of payment arrangement.

Quoting stuckinamess:

It's either turned off and you still have water in your hot water heater and in the pipes for it to run or they are giving you until close of business. Have you tried calling and working out a payment plan or asking if they have any financial help?

Luna091306
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I thought that is what she was doing. She did something to the meter. How do I check if it's still running?

Quoting madtan23:

It could be just what was left in the lines..If it starts turning darker or anything then it's off...Go out and see if your water meter is still running..Did you see them cut it off or does it say pay in full by such and such date? 

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

They give you til the end of business which is 5pm at most places.

retsillacam
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

we live in a small town so sometimes if we are late, they will "shut it off" but give us till the end of the day to go pay the bill.

stuckinamess
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

and if it's not shut off but going to be I would fill up all your tubs with water and any bottles you can plus pots and pans so you can cook and flush the toilet.

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Could it be just what is left in the pipes and water heater? When I had well water and we lost electricity... we had what water was left in the pipes and stuff. I don't know, maybe they are planning on shutting it off at the end of the day. I am sorry, I know it sucks. We once lost our house because my hubby's boss never paid. Ten years later and he still owes him over 5 grand.  I would find some bottles and fill them up with water. Fill pitchers and buckets. Whatever you can find. Since it is such a small amount, maybe there is  a charity near by that would pay to keep it on. Good Luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)