Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will it be the same?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm having a repeat c-sec on Friday, and I was wondering if anybody had trouble breastfeeding. I had labor then c-sec with my fist since I didn't progress and I was 41 weeks and water was broke for 14 hours. I'm wanting to bf again, but I'm afraid that having a c-sec will not give my body the signal to start. Thanks for the input!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
HybridMom27
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM
I doubt it will be the same - because now that you know you had issues, you can prepare! As soon as you are in recovery, go skin to skin with your baby and let him/her nuzzle and try to latch on. Latch on often, so s/he gets used to it and to stimulate your supply. Once you're back in your room, ask them to bring an electric pump, and use it often - save the colostrum for the car ride home (the nurses should be able to refrig it for you, but it can be left out at room temp for 24-48 hrs.

Also, have you contacted your local LLL leader? I would - and explain the situation, and ask for advice and for a contact for a good LC. The LCs in the hospital IMHO are mixed - I had two poor to mediocre ones - but I had a great one who works for my ped, thank goodness. She was able to fix a latch issue with my oldest that was affecting my supply and forced us to supplement. In about 20 min she calculated that he had nursed nearly 3 oz, and so I was able to stop supplementing with just the few tips and hands-on help she gave me. A good LC can fix nearly any problem!

HTH - you should also read up on Kellymom.com; it's a great BF support and resource site for every issue you can think of. Oh, and stay on top of your pain pills - it's perfectly safe to nurse while taking percocet or vicodin - but it's really tough to nurse when your pain is not controlled. So take your pain meds on time and don't wait until you ARE in pain - assume you will be. Your hormones get screwed up when you are in pain.

I'd also pick up some Mother's Milk tea (you can get it at any health food store), and drink loads of water after you give birth.

GL! Keep us posted!
bec94
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Thanks! My dd was a little pro breastfeeding, and I just want all to go well with dd #2. I'm just getting nervous since I won't be going through labor this time.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

tattedmommynlj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM

My exroommate had to have scheduled csections with all 4 of her kids (pelvis was too small to birth) and she BF'd the same with all of them. I know one mom who while prego or for awhile after would lactate any time she heard any kid cry LOL

I think youll do just fine! Good Luck!

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

amanda090784
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I had a scheduled c-section  because my son was breech and my milk produced right away. The nurses and the lady that helps you with breastfeeding (forgot her pro title) couldn't believe how fast my milk was producing and coming in. I don't think it matters whether you go into labor or have a csection your baby knows what to do.

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Leahmaria7981
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I had an emergency c-section at 29 weeks. I was still able to pump for my son starting the day he was born. I ended up drying up, but it had more to do with him being in the NICU for 2 months and not being able to actually breast feed until he had his sucking reflex, which I had dried up by then. But I don't think you should have much of a problem.

hautemama83
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I had a scheduled c-section with my son, no labor no nothing, and I had no issues what so ever with breastfeeding him. Actually we are still breastfeeding. I remember asking the doctor though if it would be different because I am not in labor or anything and he said that no matter how you give birth to a baby, your body knows when you do and releases the right hormones for you to be able to breastfeed, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

in lovebaby boygirl on a swing

bec94
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Thanks everyone! I feel better now!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)