• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena removal (What's a good substitute?)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM
  • 17 Replies

I can't stand this anymore. I want this Mirena IUD out of my body. Except that DH and I have a very active sex life (like daily), and I have no idea what to use in its place! I don't want to use hormones anymore, and I hate IUDs (so no Paraguard). And forget condoms. I hate them, too. He's offered to have a vasectomy, but I think that's extreme. We're still young.

Advice?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lyricj0627
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I had my Morena removed 4 months after I had it put in. I HATED IT!!!!!! I have been on a low form of bc for 6 months now. I am going to have it changed because I am still not feeling balanced. I don't know of much out there besides condoms that provide protection without horomones. GL. Have you looked into implanon?

Mamagirlz
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I was on the Mirena for 4 years and hated it too.  I can't take any kind of BC.  The hormones in it really mess me up.  Supposably the Mirena wasn't suppose to do that but it was just like taking the pill.  Same side effects.

For us the pull out method has worked.  We've only gotten pregnant when we wanted to. 

clovismommy25
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM

diaphragm  - easy to use, no hormones, cost effective, and great for woman who dont want the negative effects of other BC's and IUD's.

I am Magen,  a 21 year old, former teen mommy with two children(Amon and Ryan),married to(Dustin) the father of both my children,high school graduate, exclusively & extended public breastfeeding (with no cover), baby wearing, co-sleeping, CIO is cruel, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, vaccinating, circumcising, thumb sucking encouraging, disposable diaper using, lets my kids trash the house, then picks it up for them, going to public school, doesn't force church but believes in God, goes to bed angry, does not fold laundry, loves to organize, listen to heavy metal and country, reads constantly, plays world of war craft with my husband, pro-life, child abuse survivor(NOT victim), republican, soon-to-be home owning, living my American dream, stay at home mommy!

SlightlyPerfect
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Well, I'm only 7 months PP, but the mood swings are not what I'm used to. At first I thought it was the hormones, but I weaned my daughter at 5 months, so I should have leveled out by now. That's what makes me think it's the IUD. I didn't "get bad" until May (and by "bad" I mean "bad for me"; I'm always in control, so feeling out of control is "bad" for me), which was about 2 months after getting Mirena. But I also weaned her at that time, so I wasn't sure which was the variable.

Now I'm pretty sure it's Mirena, and I'm also pretty sure he'll be getting a vasectomy, which I think I'm more concerned about than he is! He's all about it (since it's more easily reversible than a female tubal) and says I "put enough years into birth control." It just kind of weirds me out. 

Quoting Mamagirlz:

I was on the Mirena for 4 years and hated it too.  I can't take any kind of BC.  The hormones in it really mess me up.  Supposably the Mirena wasn't suppose to do that but it was just like taking the pill.  Same side effects.

For us the pull out method has worked.  We've only gotten pregnant when we wanted to. 

SlightlyPerfect
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I was on the ring though before we started TTC, and I just hated having to remember to take it out. I don't think a diaphragm would work for me.

Quoting clovismommy25:

diaphragm  - easy to use, no hormones, cost effective, and great for woman who dont want the negative effects of other BC's and IUD's.

okiemom27
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I hated the Mirena.  I had it taken out within like two or three months of getting it.  It had me on a constant period.  We are done having kids so I got the Essure proceedure done in my dr.'s office.

clovismommy25
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM

It is hormone free, and you put it in before you have sex. Like condoms. There are also films you can buy, that go over your cervix, that have spermicide in them. I LOVED THEM! We do nature family planning now though. I chart my cycles, my mucus and body temp! I am really glad we are doing this, no chance of early term abortion (medical, ending of a pregnancy, natural or unnatural) and nothing in or on my body.  We are not Catholic, but we used this site to learn from! It is as effective as all the other BC's, as long as you do it correctly, just like other BC, if you mess up, you can get pregnant, so not really different, just no hormones or plastic.
http://www.ccli.org/nfp/basics/effectiveness-p01.php

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I was on the ring though before we started TTC, and I just hated having to remember to take it out. I don't think a diaphragm would work for me.

Quoting clovismommy25:

Surreal26
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I have just had this IUD inserted. What is it that y'all don't like? I had problems with it in the beginning. The threads were too long and kept getting tugged on so it hurt all the time. Once they were trimmed it was fine. My husband ships out for 10 weeks at a time, so I don't know how comfortable it is yet otherwise...

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Are you done having children?

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

clovismommy25
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Check out my journals on NFP! Even if you are not religious or catholic, you can still use nfp!

I am Magen,  a 21 year old, former teen mommy with two children(Amon and Ryan),married to(Dustin) the father of both my children,high school graduate, exclusively & extended public breastfeeding (with no cover), baby wearing, co-sleeping, CIO is cruel, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, vaccinating, circumcising, thumb sucking encouraging, disposable diaper using, lets my kids trash the house, then picks it up for them, going to public school, doesn't force church but believes in God, goes to bed angry, does not fold laundry, loves to organize, listen to heavy metal and country, reads constantly, plays world of war craft with my husband, pro-life, child abuse survivor(NOT victim), republican, soon-to-be home owning, living my American dream, stay at home mommy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)