Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want my 13 month old to be as healthy as possible... Should i keep giving her formula?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

It was always been "tradition" in my family to give a one year old child whole milk & cut off the bottle ( switch to sippy cup). I am trying the sippy cup thing & she will drink whole milk , but I want her to be as healthy as possible. Is keeping her on formula an option or is it worse for her? What are some other things I can do to insure she is 100% healthy & growing? 

cute-graphic-mommys-cutie-pie.gif

things-you-hate.gif

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stpalmsgirl
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:38 PM

In my opinion with all that crap that is in formula it is not the most healthiest choice for a 1 year old. You could steam veggies for her, cut fruits in tiny pieces for her to eat or just try her on table food.

LeanneC
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I would switch to whole milk... as unprocessed as you can get.  Maybe start her on some fish oil supps and probiotics.  Offer plenty of fruits and veggies and whole grains... limit or eliminate juice.

tattedmommynlj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM

In my opinion you dont have to keep your kid on formula when they eat actual food. You get the same nutrients eating a well balanced healthy diet. and the whole milk is mainly for the fat in it which your baby needs for the most part. My son has been off formula since one or a little before and he is compeletely healthy and eats a well rounded diet.

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

ariannasmom114

i was the same way and i kept my dd on formula for a while i just used the next step kind

KYChica

She's been on table foods for a while but I only give her stuff like fruit , veggies or pasta. Every once in a while I'll give her something like grilled cheese or a hot dog.

But with her , she loves her drinks (shes drinking whole milk now & juice). I just didn't know if keeping her on formula would be better than whole milk?

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

In my opinion with all that crap that is in formula it is not the most healthiest choice for a 1 year old. You could steam veggies for her, cut fruits in tiny pieces for her to eat or just try her on table food.

cute-graphic-mommys-cutie-pie.gif

things-you-hate.gif

tattedmommynlj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM

formula is just processed nutrients. anything in powder form is processed. go for an organic whole milk if you can afford it.

Quoting KYChica:

She's been on table foods for a while but I only give her stuff like fruit , veggies or pasta. Every once in a while I'll give her something like grilled cheese or a hot dog.

But with her , she loves her drinks (shes drinking whole milk now & juice). I just didn't know if keeping her on formula would be better than whole milk?

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

stpalmsgirl
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Quoting KYChica:

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

I believe that neither formula or milk is a good choice for a kid, but that's my opinion. If you feed her table food already than that's really all she needs as long as you  make sure she'll get plenty of fruits and veggies.

DeTora_Family
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I would give her organic whole milk (formula has a lot of garbage in it, sorry) and make sure she has a healthy diet with a variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and protein.  Read labels and give her as much organic and unprocessed foods as possible.  If you feel she is lacking in anything, give her a multi vitamin.  Switching her to a sippy cup is a good idea because of her oral development. 

DeTora_Family.gif picture by Buddy07_L

I am a green, pro-gay-marriage, NestlĂ©-boycotting, attachment-parenting, natural-birthing, co-sleeping, non-CIO, baby/toddler-wearing, cloth-diapering, early toilet-teaching, extended-breastfeeding, delayed-vaccinating, non-spanking, hot-tempered, Irish Catholic mama of advanced maternal age to my extended rear-facing Italian bambino.  You do not have to agree, but that is me.  Nice to meet you :)

Raising Rocco Blog

brandithesuperm
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I kept 2 of my kids on formula until they were around 15 months old. I used the next step kind of course, but they just didn't like whole milk. I don't see a problem with it and my pedi never told me it wasn't good for them.

imechard
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM

If she is gaining weight well I would cut out the formula because it might add calories that she does not need if she gets a well balanced diet. I would only recommend formula if the child is not gaining weight appropriately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)