Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

got me to thinking

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

i really feel  that is too much control and the hands of our government. i am not talking about major things here. i mean small things. i believe no one should be able to tell me what i can feed my child. ex: banning nuts in school. really? i believe no one has the right to tell me how to educatemy child. (im lucky on that one) i believe that if an adult does not want to wear a seatbelt then they shouldnt have to. i always wear a seatbelt, but if they are over 18 and want to risk it thats on them. i dont think that the goverrnment should tell any business owner that they can not have a religous decoration displayed at CHRISTmas time. i feel that people should not celebrate CHRISTmas if they dont believe in its meaning. dont go to those businesses if it bothers you that much, do have any "little" complaints. this is not to bash just to share your thoughts.i feel everyone can believe what they wish and i accept it, but also accept mine. isnt that what tolerance really is?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma129
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Im confused are you saying that the government has already done these things or that you don't want them to?

I only ask because its a school or school system thing that does the nuts, and honestly it may be a pain to make your child something other than pbj but how would you feel if it ended up killing the student who is allergic to it?

The seatbelt law is per state I'm pretty sure even though most do enforce it.

And any privately owned business can do what they please. If I dont want to provide service to someone, thats my right as a business owner as long as its not discrimination which would have to be proved. I can hang any decorations I wish as long as they are not hateful to anyone. My parents always put up a christmas tree in our store and wish people merry christmas unless we know that they celebrate something else at which point we might say somethign different.

momma2mms
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM

i mean government (federal, state, local, school districts ect.... whoever has the power

momma2mms
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM

a christmas tree is not a religous decoration. and people have sued others over them. ridiculous.

isra1986
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:02 PM

The peanut in school thing is because some kids have life threatening allergies. If your kid touches a desk, door knob or breathes on a child with an allergy, they could die. As a mother, I am shocked that so many people are ok with that just because "my kid likes PB and J so I don't care!"
And nobody is telling any business owners not to decorate during their holidays. Religious decorations are only banned on government property!

Kenzie_Maher
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Well. I can see the issue of the nuts in school, because it could potentially kill another student. They aren't saying what you can and can't feed your children at home, merely that they can't have nuts at school. To me, that's not an issue. Seat belts are also a safety issue. Just because you choose not to wear a seat belt knowing it could kill you, doesn't mean that in a crash you'd be the only one fatally effected by your lack of responsibility. ("you" and "your" are meant generally, not specifically) If you don't wear your seatbelt as a driver, and my child and I your passengers, you could still fly across the car and kill me or my child.

While I understand the Christmas Tree debate, there are a lot of people (even MANY of the women on here) who believe that the Christmas Tree is a symbol of CHRISTmas - which they believe should only be celebrated by Christians (much like you stated). If we put a Christmas Tree in schools or in businesses, people may take offense because they believe (or others believe) that the tree is a representation of religious beliefs.

I do see your point somewhat, but not with the things you addressed, specifically.

EthansMomma129
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM

People are greedy and sue over every little thing they can think of.Thats why there are so many laws out there. If people stopped being stupid and sued over things that were simple common sense we wouldnt have so many. Still, I could put a menorah (sp?) up in my parents store if I wanted because its privately owned. People jsut don't do it because they dont want to offend any other religious customers and prevent them from coming in and therefore losing business. Its more so an economic decision not a legal decision.

Quoting momma2mms:

a christmas tree is not a religous decoration. and people have sued others over them. ridiculous.

MaddiesMaMa418
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Banning nuts in school isn't a government ploy to tell you what you can and cannot feed your child, it's about the safety of children with allergies.  As for the seat belt thing, well, it's a law for a reason, it's to keep people safe. I never knew stores were told not to display religious Christmas items. I work at JCP and we have Nativity scenes on display every year.

isra1986
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Exactly. We close early everyday during Ramadan to go home and break our fast becuase it's our business. During our Eids, we could make a big sign that says Eid Mubarak, but I doubt we would pull in as many customers as we would otherwise! Busines owners are free to practice and display their religion as they wish, but it's not always the best business decision.

Quoting EthansMomma129:

People are greedy and sue over every little thing they can think of.Thats why there are so many laws out there. If people stopped being stupid and sued over things that were simple common sense we wouldnt have so many. Still, I could put a menorah (sp?) up in my parents store if I wanted because its privately owned. People jsut don't do it because they dont want to offend any other religious customers and prevent them from coming in and therefore losing business. Its more so an economic decision not a legal decision.

Quoting momma2mms:

savedbygrace316
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I understand the nuts one.  Some kids have allergies and it's just not worth the risk.  Not wearing seat belts affects health care and 1st response cost.  I'm not religious but I don't care if religious decorations are displayed.  However I'm kinda upset that some schools no longer allow halloween and christmas parties at school because people are so uptight about it.

CafeMom Tickers
isra1986
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Not uptight. Not everyone clelbrates those holidays though. It goes both ways. They would have to exclude some kids and may have to celebrate all holidays of all faiths and that would be too much! Religion should not be in schools, unless they are private religious schools.

Quoting savedbygrace316:

I understand the nuts one.  Some kids have allergies and it's just not worth the risk.  Not wearing seat belts affects health care and 1st response cost.  I'm not religious but I don't care if religious decorations are displayed.  However I'm kinda upset that some schools no longer allow halloween and christmas parties at school because people are so uptight about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)