• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another food & formula question 1 year old

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

In a 2 weeks my son will be 1 so i know its time to stop the formula, but he barely eats. How much should a 1 year old eat? Food doesnt interest him at all.

Usually in a day i can get him to eat..

1/4 cup of applesauce

Some peas and carrots, half a piece of bread.

Thats about it, and maybe a jar of baby food.

He will take a bite or 2 of what im having, but doesnt want to eat it, just tries it.

How much should he be eating? I dont want him to start loosing weight after i take him off the formula

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Lovegaia78
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Wow he defintely eats a lot less than my DD did at that age. Does he drink a lot of formula?

single_and_preg
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM

No not really, usually 3 6 oz bottles a day. I dont know why he wont eat, like i just tried to get him to eat a cheese sandwich, he took 2 tiny pieces and didnt want anymore. He dont really take much formula either, hes kinds big though, he was 23 lbs and 32 inches at his 9 monht appt.

MommyJ0697
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:37 PM
Quoting single_and_preg:

In a 2 weeks my son will be 1 so i know its time to stop the formula, but he barely eats. How much should a 1 year old eat?As much as his little heart desies!! Food doesnt interest him at all.

Usually in a day i can get him to eat..

1/4 cup of applesauce

Some peas and carrots, half a piece of bread.

Thats about it, and maybe a jar of baby food.

He will take a bite or 2 of what im having, but doesnt want to eat it, just tries it.

How much should he be eating? I dont want him to start loosing weight after i take him off the formula You don't *have* to take him off of formula yet. It's no longer set in stone they have to be off it before/at a year. Buy some Next Step formula and use that. If you don't feel comfortable letting him just have formula, mix it in the with the baby food, or make him mashed potatoes with the formula with the butter, salt, and flakes.

mrsmilfy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:40 PM

My DD slowed down her eating too. She was 20 lbs at 12 months...and she is 24lbs at 27 months. She eats when she's hungry. I stopped formula the day she turned 1. We switched to whole milk 3 cups a day. You can try Pediasure as well. We did gerber graduates meals, and then some chef boyardee stuff for lunch...and we would offer her what we ate for dinner. It's trial and error...we offered her a lot of foods until we found the food she would consistently eat.

ShadowLark
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Quoting single_and_preg:

No not really, usually 3 6 oz bottles a day. I dont know why he wont eat, like i just tried to get him to eat a cheese sandwich, he took 2 tiny pieces and didnt want anymore. He dont really take much formula either, hes kinds big though, he was 23 lbs and 32 inches at his 9 monht appt.

He's a big boy!  He might just not need the Calories - don't be shocked when he skinnies out and gets tall(er) this year!

But if he doesn't want to eat yet, it won't hurt him to stay on the formula.  I know that's one reason I bf until the kids are 2 (at least).  That way you KNOW they're getting SOMETHING, even when they don't eat!

smarshy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM

We are going through the same thing! DS has no real interested in food.. When he eats, which is about three times a day, he eats only a couple tablespoons..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)