• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you guys know this? (About kids & ibuprofen)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM
  • 4 Replies

I found one on the floor in our dining room, a 200mlg... and I don't think Hannah would eat one... but I called poison control just cause I'm paranoid... they said for her weight(31lbs) she could eat up to 18 before they get worried!!?? He said ibuprofen is very well tolerated, and she might get a tummy ache. I had no idea...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
imechard
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I did not know that, that is a lot of Ibuprofen

ajswenson
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I did not know that but it doesn't really surprise me.  I have heard, don't know if it's true, but I have heard that the FDA is so strict with over the counter meds that if aspirin were to be a "new" drug today it would NEVER be put on the okay list form FDA.  They have to be strict or people sue in a split second.  Glad to know she didn't eat it, and that it's not a horrible thing if one or a few get injested.

jothra
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Yeah, in a very bad mommy moment I left some liquid children's ibuprofen on the counter, closed the cap and figured DS would need more in the middle of the night. He didn't wake up until morning and DS was in the kitchen with DH and grabbed the bottle, took off the cap (apparently the child proof cap didn't work), and took a big ol swig. DS loves the taste of medicine. I threw him in the car and rushed him to children's, but DH insisted that we call poison control. They said he could have drank the whole bottle and been fine with nothing more than a tummy ache. Not to worry as long as it wasn't Tylenol or any other med. I said no, for sure, ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen is my first go to now. Everything always stays locked up, irregardless of what time it is and I always double check the child proof caps now. I've found about half the time, they don't actually lock off to be childproof.

Leahmaria7981
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Quoting jothra:

DS loves the taste of medicine.

I think that's a HUGE problem now. All the meds taste good. Remember when we were kids and we had to have cough medicine? It was a fight to get us to take it. All of it tasted bad. I can't remember one thing that actually tasted good. Now they LOVE taking it cause it tastes so good. When we go to the pharmacy and they ask what flavor we want added to our kids meds I tell them none at all....lol. My kids are unlucky enough to have to have the nasty meds, unless it's one that automatically comes with a flavor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)