• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you and your DH/SO real partners? **Edit**

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM
  • 19 Replies

Are things done equal?

Do you feel like you both carry an equal burden?

Do you have to do a lot of preparation when you live your kids with him?

Could he handle your job and you his?

DH and I are fairly equal. I would say that I do a lot of smaller tasks and he does a few large ones around the house and with DS. He works 50 hours a week and I do part time daycare.

In the fall, we are going to send DS to part time daycare and I will be working part time and going to school and have 15! credits on my plate. I think DH will be slightly surprised I shift some things to him!

EDIT***

I was reading this article, which is why I asked!

www.babble.com/equally-shared-parenting-mom-dad-divide/

I love babble!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcsmom99
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM

We're both very spoiled.  I have a housekeeper and he has a yard guy.  Neither of us is overworked, so we don't have any problems with either of us feeling like we do way more than the other.  It's a kick-backed kinda life around here.

Love_My_Leah
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM

We are completely and 100% equal in every aspect.  

mommyslate
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Yes we are.  We both work fulltime and I would never expect something out of him I was not willing to do myself, and he feels the same way.

I don't have to do anything to leave our child with him, she's our child he can care for her just as well as I can, as I would expect him to.

Stephanie

*Mommy to Katelyn*

cecilianchipper
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I dont know how equal SO and I are.  He works full time at DDS Utilities in Rochester, NY as a Class A Truck Driver so I definitely would not be able to do his job.  I would if I had my Class A license I guess.  =)  But other than that we share responsibilities.  I am a WAHM so I contribute as well.  I think if we had to switch jobs for a day we could handle it.  His job is pretty easy, go to work, drive a truck, come home, eat dinner, play Xbox, go to bed.  LOL

happy

jillbailey26
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Are things done equal?  Yes, they are very equal.

Do you feel like you both carry an equal burden?  Yes we do, we both "work" me at home with our kids and him outside of the home.  I make sure he has dinner when he gets home and he gets to play his video games and he makes it so I don't have to bring the kids to the store with me and will make breakfast for everyone on the weekends

Do you have to do a lot of preparation when you live your kids with him?  Nope, I just tell him who ate and when and off I go.

Could he handle your job and you his?  Yes, and he has before.  I was really sick with my last pregnancy.  I was in and out of the hospital for weeks at a time.  He went to work, did his job and came home and did mine.

~Jill~

sandyvanb
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM

My hubby and I are completely equal.  When I leave him with the kids I don't have to do any prep or leave him instructions.  We could swap jobs if we had to but things work fine the way they are.  I'll be starting grad school in the fall and the kids will be in pre-school so things will change but everything will be covered.  It's going to be a rough two years but my dh supports me 100%!

MiasMom2006natural.gif Natural Childbirth picture by sandyvanbrawisnercrunchy.gif Crunchy picture by sandyvanbDoula blinkie

There is simply too much information available to not do things my way.

Paesana82
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM

If you asked me this 2 yrs ago I would have said no, but now yes. DH is great! He is great with the kids, he helps around the house when I need it, he tries to be the best father/husband as he can be.

That being said, he doesn't handle the kids as well as I do when he's alone. I mean, I don't really expect him to. He works and I'm at home. I'm with them all day, so I have a "system," he doesn't, so yeah, when he has to watch the kids I do a lot of prep, I make lists so that things run as smoothly as they do when they're with me.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

MommySayz
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Are things done equal? not really

Do you feel like you both carry an equal burden? no, he carries much more

Do you have to do a lot of preparation when you live your kids with him? when i leave the kids with him? no, they are his kids too.

Could he handle your job and you his? he could do mine, i couldnt do his.

Cavalrybaby02
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Are things done equal? Pretty much.  I stay at home and he works, so I do some house work and take care of the kids while he's at work.  But when he comes home, he helps as much as he can around the house.

Do you feel like you both carry an equal burden?  Yes.

Do you have to do a lot of preparation when you live your kids with him?  Nope.  He's so involved in the kids' lives that I can leave the kids with him at any time.

Could he handle your job and you his?  No.  In fact, we've talked about how we each have our respective jobs and he couldn't handle mine and I couldn't handle his...

Fawn80
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Quoting smarshy:

Are things done equal? Yes.  We both work full time, but he normally works 2 sometimes 3 different jobs aside from his 40 hour week.  Because of that, I take care of almost all of the cooking and cleaning, which I enjoy.

Do you feel like you both carry an equal burden? No, actually, we don't.  He feels more of a burden (being the man of the house) to bring money in to get the bills paid.  I feel more of a burden making sure our home is a home, and that our children are properly cared for.

Do you have to do a lot of preparation when you live your kids with him? Nope.  He's a great daddy!

Could he handle your job and you his? No.  He does a LOT of hard, manual labor that I am just not cut out for, and he lacks a woman's touch when it comes to household stuff!  Nonetheless, we appreciate the job that each person does, and we remember to tell each other how lucky we are on a regular basis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)