Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Family Planning

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

For those who NFP, what made you choose this as your BC method? I'm just curious. I hear mostly b/c it doesn't have the side effects of other BCs. I've used the combo pill, the mini pill and the Mirena and never had any real side effects other than mild discomfort (with Mirena) and spotting for a few weeks with pill. I know with the combo there are some long term side effects that are suggested potentials but still....To me, it just seems like a lot of counting a observation. So, what made you decide this was best for you?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EsmeVincent
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I've been trying to find the right bc for me but so far I haven't found anything that really works well for me...OR my body could just be screwy after having my ds SO I just ask my dr for another one if the one I am taking isn't working right...or giving me strange reactions.  Its more of a trial and error type thing, not all women will have the side effects they talk about and others will.

RissaBusch
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I just don't believe in artificial BC. I don't want any of the very serious risks that come with it. 

scotlynsmom07
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Completely understandable. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason that condoms aren't an option? Like the lambskin ones with no spermicide?

Quoting RissaBusch:

I just don't believe in artificial BC. I don't want any of the very serious risks that come with it. 

smarshy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM

We use a combination of NFP, condoms and the pill. No way is that happening again! I think that it is one of the best starts for birth control, but I really don't think that it is super effective all the time. Women cycle so differently! I really think it is an especially good idea in impoverished countries as well.

When I got pregnant we were using NFP and the pull out method, which did not work obviously. I think that it is nice to know where you are at in your cycle anyway..

mitch576
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM

we only use it because he's a big wussy and hasn't gotten his tubes tied yet.

i refuse... on principal alone.

i carried three children... 10 months each.

i gained and lost over 202 lbs... stretch marks, hemerroids... vomitting.. have a dr. shove his fist up there once a month... then once a week for a month.

don't do the pill because of the hormones.

i did my job.. he can stop crying over getting a nick on the balls and man up.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

Mamagirlz
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I can't take BC b/c of the side effects.  I've been on the pill and the Mirena before and wow my body just can't handle them.  The thing that works best for us is the pull out method.  DH can't have anything with spermicide in it or it will burn him badly.  We both hate condoms so that's not an option.  We've only gotten pregnant when we wanted to.  So it works for us.  I know this method isn't for everyone.

adulation
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:09 PM

i use the pill and man, i DO have side effects but they lessen over time.  but i dont like it because if i have to stop the pill for a month or two due to a lack of funds, then when i start it again i get the bad effects all over again.
[headaches, nausea, bloating, sore boobs]

i will use the rhythm method when i am in a serious, long term relationship.

until then i put up with the crap.

scotlynsmom07
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:26 PM

My body rejected the Mirena. I know it works for some people. I'd be so scared that I'd be one of the people it wouldn't work for. Lol. That's my luck

Quoting Mamagirlz:

I can't take BC b/c of the side effects.  I've been on the pill and the Mirena before and wow my body just can't handle them.  The thing that works best for us is the pull out method.  DH can't have anything with spermicide in it or it will burn him badly.  We both hate condoms so that's not an option.  We've only gotten pregnant when we wanted to.  So it works for us.  I know this method isn't for everyone.

RissaBusch
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM

My husband believe that's G-d is the opener and closer of the womb and I respect that.

I also have a disease called Raynaud's and people with this disease should not take hormonal BC as it can worsen it.

Quoting scotlynsmom07:

Completely understandable. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason that condoms aren't an option? Like the lambskin ones with no spermicide?

Quoting RissaBusch:

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I used fertility awareness using a form of NFP that uses a calendar with white babies, red babies and green babies stickers and is learned over a year with your husband.

I also use the cervical cap with a spermicide in the cap, not all over mess like the diaphragm itching yucky argh, hated it. Plus they fit and you can feel that it is properly in place as well. As long as that spermicide is in that cap then you are not going to get pregnant.

When the fact that women do not get pregnant after ovulation that freed up my life alot, thank you science.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)