• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military and civilians...

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM
  • 10 Replies

I keep seeing post about military vs. civilians, military health benefits, etc. Has anyone considered the fact that right now we could all be suffering. Obama wants to cut military spending.. ok, lets say that part of the cut is doing away with military jobs. What is that going to do to all the towns in the US that support military post. I work in Huntsville, AL where redstone arsenal houses thousands of soldiers. Most of the civilians have jobs because of the military. If they take away those military jobs, most of the businesses here have lost all their customers. Then we loose our jobs. It could be a horrible domino effect and could go either way. On another note, what will happen to us if our defenses are gone and we are left vulnerable??? I guess what i'm trying to say is that all this military vs. civilians is stupid. We are all in the same boat and it's sad that one thinks that they are better than the other. I support our troops 100%, but we all need to realize that the military needs civilians just as much as civilians need the military and vice versa. We all need our benefits, we all need our jobs and we all need to support each other.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luna091306
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I agree! Military or civilians, we are all Americans!

NikiOcasio
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I agree wih you 100% my dad also works down in Huntsville alabama and works for hawk enterprises which is a job funded by the government. hes a retired military man who is now a civilian. it worries me to death that my family could possibly lose all that they have worked their butts off for. and not to mention my husband is also military soo I do agree it works both ways. everyone should be worried whether or not you are military or a civilian.  everyone has it tough nowadays with the way the economy is going.

cjsmom0206
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM

So true :) 

CraZedSAHMof3
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:48 PM
I live on the Arsenal, I just had to ask hubby if there were thousands of families lived here, its weird to think that that amount could live here because it just looks quite small to me! I lived at Ft. Hood for 9 yrs, that was a lot of military there. Lol but I see what your saying. I did not intend my post (M vs C) to come out as who is the better person, I did say that I could have worded it differently, that was my fault. I don't think anyone is better then the next, we all need each other. I agree with your post.
dswarila
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Very true! And very scary!!

Proud Mommy to a beautiful little boy named Lucas and a proud AF wife!!! air forceyellow ribbonbaby boy

a wedding website

mayasmummi
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I agree.  Though my dh is active duty army - they are tossing soldiers out left and right. Job cuts in the military along with those bonuses that use to be are making it difficult. 

I know one thing - when election time comes, my vote will not be on re-electing that in which we currently have.  

scootermom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Quoting dswarila:

Very true! And very scary!!

cbartee
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Quoting CraZedSAHMof3:

I live on the Arsenal, I just had to ask hubby if there were thousands of families lived here, its weird to think that that amount could live here because it just looks quite small to me! I lived at Ft. Hood for 9 yrs, that was a lot of military there. Lol but I see what your saying. I did not intend my post (M vs C) to come out as who is the better person, I did say that I could have worded it differently, that was my fault. I don't think anyone is better then the next, we all need each other. I agree with your post.

I know. It doesnt seem that big. I have lived in this area my entire life and the arsenal keeps on growing. My post is not meant to point a finger at anyone elses post, but more at the replies in those post. I have seen some pretty harsh things said. Thanks for the reply.

SitaStJames
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I know my husband is thinking about staying in the military but we are also aware that it may not be a possiblity due to the economy and Obama. I really think due to economy we shouldn't be comparing but be joining together.

luchousdiva
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I agree.  The more bases they close the more civillian jobs get cut also and the city where the base is pays the price too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)