Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 20 month old bumped his head question

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son was getting on my bed and slipped. He knocked his forehead on the wood and there is a quarter size bump that is bruised.

I am afraid of internal bleeding.

Just wondering how many would rush him to the hospital.

Once he got on my bed I put ice and nursed him to sleep. He only cried about 1 minute.

He is breathing normally and no other signs of any problems.

Thanks for your opinions.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
msmoody
by Her majesty on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM

If I rushed my son to the ER every time he bumped his head, I would be living there. If he's acting normal,  I wouldn't worry about it.  Try waking him up in a little while and see how he acts. If he's doing ANYTHING out of the ordinary, take him in. If not...don't worry about it.

Rhonda142
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Mine had many knots if he is not throwing up just keep an eye on him. He will probably get a few more *smiles*.  Poor lil guy!

Josslynsmommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM

do you think he hit his head REALLY hard?? If so..and you are thinking he may have a concusion you shouldn't have let him fall asleep. (That's the #1 rule of thumb after a head injury is to not let them fall asleep)

If he already has a bruise I would doubt he has internal bleeding...platlets are what create a bruise and stop bleeding. Unless of course he has a platlet disorder..then that's a different story.

I would take him in if you think he hit his hard enough to cause a concusion. If not and his eye movements are fine, he's not haulcenating, or talking non-sense I think he'll be okay. But you need to have peace of mind if you think he's having problems.

My name is Lindsey. I am a young single mother, teacher, advocate, best friend, support system, and everything else under the sun to my strong little girl, Josslyn Kate, diagnosed with a very rare auto immune disease, Autoimmune Lymphoproliferative Syndrome. She is my life and what I live for every second of every day.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/josslynfrost

IowaMommie
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Ditto to this. 

Quoting msmoody:

If I rushed my son to the ER every time he bumped his head, I would be living there. If he's acting normal,  I wouldn't worry about it.  Try waking him up in a little while and see how he acts. If he's doing ANYTHING out of the ordinary, take him in. If not...don't worry about it.

GDIMOM
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Thank you. I appreciate it!

I understand not rushing them to the hospital. I have 4 boys so I know what you mean.

I get nervous when it has to do with the head and am always afraid of internal bleeding because of stories i have heard.

My nephew woke him up and he was behaving normal. I let him go back to sleep.

Thanks, again.

lacylady
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Quoting GDIMOM:

I understand not rushing them to the hospital. I have 4 boys so I know what you mean.

I get nervous when it has to do with the head and am always afraid of internal bleeding because of stories i have heard.

Thanks, again.

Just happened last week to my darling 2 year old grandson..He fell into the door corner of coure couldn't just eb the door....LOL anyway, a new one on me it almost a bleed so I took him just around the corner from my daughters a new EMT has just opened...He took a look at Tyler,,he told me now the rule of thumb is as long as the knock makes a knot thta comes out---then usual nothing to worry about...IF it doesn't make a knot outside then it may be a sign that the swelling is inside....So with that and IF the child ever vomicts within and hour of the hit on the head--go to ER....right away..Otherwise watch them closely, If they go to sleep wake them every 30 minutes just to see tht they are being themselves.....So good luck mama........

GDIMOM
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Quoting lacylady:

Quoting GDIMOM:

Thanks, again.

Just happened last week to my darling 2 year old grandson..He fell into the door corner of coure couldn't just eb the door....LOL anyway, a new one on me it almost a bleed so I took him just around the corner from my daughters a new EMT has just opened...He took a look at Tyler,,he told me now the rule of thumb is as long as the knock makes a knot thta comes out---then usual nothing to worry about...IF it doesn't make a knot outside then it may be a sign that the swelling is inside....So with that and IF the child ever vomicts within and hour of the hit on the head--go to ER....right away..Otherwise watch them closely, If they go to sleep wake them every 30 minutes just to see tht they are being themselves.....So good luck mama........

Poor baby!

Thanks, great info.

allsolittle
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM

my middle daughter has a bump on her forehead that never goes away, she is so clumsy... lol... anyway, i think hell be fine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)