Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Ready to switch!!! Need some advice

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello ladies

I am getting ready to wean my son- my pediatrician told me instead of just substituting with whole milk to give him toddler formula also for the added nutrients. Since I have primarily Breastfed my baby I am just a little unsure about giving him this substitute. Any thoughts or advice on this? Should I give him formula?

Also, how often should I be giving him cereal? I give him a bowl in the morning and one with his dinner also. I read somewhere that cereal is not needed the older babies get.

Any advice on toddler nutrition is welcome!!!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
renee3218
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM

My ped said go straight with milk. I stopped giving my DD cereal at 6 months. 

mariscilla
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:56 PM

bump

i am curious too. i have a 13 month old i want to start weaning little by little.

purplemoosemom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Hmm, interesting. My dd, almost 11 months, does not, nor has she ever, gotten cereal.  She eats table foods.  She's also nursing still.  No milk and she doesn't do juice--she drinks water out of a sippy cup though.  When she does switch wean, she will go to whole milk.  Unless your dd is lacking nutrition somehow, whole milk should be good. 

papaya_mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM

HI! When I was starting to wean DD (she completely weaned herself by 14 mos), I'd cut back on the nursing during the day, and either give her a bottle w/ breastmilk, or a bottle w/ milk and cereal mixed.  There were some days that I gave her formula for one feeding and milk for another.  the older she got I started putting cereal in a bowl and letting her eat it with a spoon, instead of mixing it in with her bottle.

3greatkids751
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I started weaning my dd when she was 13 mnts.. I switched her straight to Milk, it took her about a month to get used the whole switch but ever since then she LOVES her milk!! I wish I would have BF for longer though... With this baby I'm BF until he/she is almost 2 yrs old.

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting #4 in 2010!!

pregnancy calendar

Got Mamas Milk BlinkieI Love My LCPL Blinkie

Proud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

mistie900
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:59 PM

My ped said to go to whole milk (not 2% or any of that because they still need the fat from there milk or something like that lol) I stopped with cereal for my daughter when she was about a year old and with my son at about 8 or 9 months because he would hit the spoon out of my hand and make a mess (he didn't want to be feed) But my daughter wanted to eat it when he was so I would mix it up for her with regular milk and she really liked it. It was pretty much like oats.

**Also I forgot to say that I had both of my kids weaned off of their bottles by 11 months. Good Luck!

Brandi1999
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I started weaning my boys at 10 months slowly ! Introducing the sippy cups of whole milk with a lil breast milk added. Them totally removed the breast milk when they got used to drinking the milk from a cup. By there first birthday there were totally weaned from me and breast milk ! They never had formula or toddler formula ! I did give chewable vitamins !

As for the ceral I used it probably till they were two. You can add it to apple sauce and warm it and they will still eat it. Really any kind of stage 3 baby fruit or juice. For toddlers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)