Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drug Test Question

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my younger sister just got a new job. She had to go into a clinic to have a drug test done as just regular procedure for new hires. She went home soo upset. I'm quite pissed off too. If it was me I would not have left that clinic without making a huge fuss and gettting the nurse fired..

Well, what happened is she had a big chunk of her hair cut off for a sample... A freakin' sample!! WTF! I don't have any pictures, but it was more then a pinch size amount of hair.. Is that really necessary? Not only that, but she also had made my sister do a urine sample at first. Then my sister had left the clinic and she called my sister on her phone to go back to tell her that it was soppose to be a hair sample..

Ugh, I swear that nurse would have heard it from me! .. Seriously a big chunk of hair is necessary? There's no way they would even be able to get that amount of hair off a guy with short hair.. I'm so pissed for my sister.. Anyone have experience with administering drug test or have them done???

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I have never heard of someone doing something like that for a standard work drug test! and I have had to take a few for jobs and now work at the sheriff's office!

sararay
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I work for a lab. Hair sampling is a new procedure and not really the standard for jobs uless it is a very high security job, at least in the state of Oregon (where I work). Hair sampling gives long-term drug use while urine tests give results for only more recent use. It is used very rarely.

I think the employers are supposed to tell people that the hair sampling is required and there is a consent form that has to be signed. What kind of job is your sister applying for?

Edit: You only need at most 70 strands of hair and they usually take it from the back of the head.

CafeMom Tickers

Am17
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM

id be so mad. id call the place and complain or complain to the place she works

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Is she going to work for the FBI?A piss sample of a blood sample should have sufficed.

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
DomesticDoll
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I have always had to do a urine drug screen, never heard of them needing a chunk of hair! I'd be upset too!

alaiynasmommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM

It's only a receptionist job at a Ford dealership. She's been hired. This is her second week at the job.. This week is when they told her she had to do a drug test, and today they called her to go in.. She's not worried about failing, but she's really upset to the point of tears about how much hair they took.. It defintely was way more then 17 strands. It's in the back of her head under about the 1st layer of hair, but when it grows back out choppy and uneven it will be noticeable.

Quoting sararay:

I work for a lab. Hair sampling is a new procedure and not really the standard for jobs uless it is a very high security job, at least in the state of Oregon (where I work). Hair sampling gives long-term drug use while urine tests give results for only more recent use. It is used very rarely.

I think the employers are supposed to tell people that the hair sampling is required and there is a consent form that has to be signed. What kind of job is your sister applying for?

Edit: You only need at most 70 strands of hair and they usually take it from the back of the head.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

JoyandLove
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM

That sounds a little overboard.

nickynova
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Dame they do the swab test here and you don't have to go to a lab they do it right where you apply. I had to give a hair sample to the court when I was younger but they didn't take a chunk and they took it from under the back of my hair she may want to look into it because I don't think it is necessary to take that much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)