• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you explain death to a 3 yr old?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

My cat of 18 yrs died yesterday. She didn't live with us cause my apartment doesn't allow cats or dogs but she did live with my parents. My DD was very fond of her and I'm having a really hard time explaining her death to DD. I told DD that she was really sick and that Memaw had to take her to the drs and that she died but my DD keeps asking if we can go pick Nala up from the drs and bring her home cause she's all better now. I only ask how to get her to understand because my uncle (who's her favorite great uncle) just found out his cancer is back and he doesn't want to under go anymore chemo or surgeries so I know he's going to pass away soon and I want to find a way to explain death to her so she won't be asking for Uncle Bobby and causing my grandmother and mother anymore grief. It's already very hard on both of them as is. 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Our dog died the beginning of this month and I had to explain this to my 2.5 yr old we just told him that idgy got hurt really bad and his owies  couldn't be fixed so he went to heaven  and he seems to understand pretty well

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Yep. That's really all you can do. My 2.5 yo lost her guinea pig in March, AND her grandma. :(:( She understand that both were sick, and both have died. I tell her grandma lives up in the sky now.

Quoting CoUrtNEyLeE:

Our dog died the beginning of this month and I had to explain this to my 2.5 yr old we just told him that idgy got hurt really bad and his owies  couldn't be fixed so he went to heaven  and he seems to understand pretty well

CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Oh and when he asked if he could see him or go get him I just explain that idgy's body is buried at grandmas but his spirit is up in heaven and we can't go to heaven * when we want to, but he can just tell idgy that he loves him and idgy will know

Athenas_mom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Thank you very much. She just doesn't seem to be grasping the situation but I just calmly repeat myself everytime, telling her one day she'll see Nala again. Hopefully one of these days she'll understand it.

devasmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM

In my opinion, it really depends on your personal/religious beliefs. My kids knew about death from very early on. My 1st baby was still-born at 41 weeks, so they always went to her grave with us (they are 16 and 14 now). We are Catholic, I explained to them about Heaven and how death is not final, it only ends our time here on earth. They know their sister is waiting for us & when the Lord call us we all will be reunited in Heaven.

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)