• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I really?!?!?!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM
  • 68 Replies

** Please do not bash me, I would just like advice**

So I took DS to his one year wellness check about a week ago. While I was there DS doctor asked if I was still breastfeeding. My answer was yes. He is 13 months old. Hehe said I need to start weaning him. I couldnt believe he said this and it actually really bothered me. He is only 13 months old! I bf DS1 untill 18 months and planned on doing the same or even going a little longer with DS2. He is my last little miracle and really I am going to miss it. But its not just about me. BM is very beneficial. Braeden is only in the 10th % for weight and 40th % for height. I really still think he needs it. What do you ladies think? Should I listen to my DS's ped. or do I cocntinue until I feal both DS and I are ready to wean?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IowaMommie
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Continue until you and ds are ready!  That dr obviously is not supportive of bfing and I would consider getting a new one if he didn't agree with me.  Do not listen to him!  Do what YOU want!

geminishadow79
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM

theres no harm in continuing longer.  

skittlenbonesma
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Thank you so much! That is the advice I wanted to hear and I never even thought about that before. I think you may be correct. DS1 doctor never said anything like this to me. I really liked the doc until last week.

Quoting IowaMommie:

Continue until you and ds are ready!  That dr obviously is not supportive of bfing and I would consider getting a new one if he didn't agree with me.  Do not listen to him!  Do what YOU want!

stacey.momma
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Continue until you and baby are ready to stop. I nursed my first daughter til she was 16 months old, second til she was 14 months old and my youngest until she was 21 months old. They weaned themselves when THEY were ready. I certainly wouldn't stop until I felt it was the right time... so KUDOS to you for continuing!!!

elleinad
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Did you point out to him his recommendation goes against the AAP's advice?

"...Only the doing of justice is a good enough excuse to be born."

naturalmom86
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I'm all for BF. Did the doctor say why? Does he speculate because his weight is in the low percentile that he's not getting enough nutrition? I mean did he say why?

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:33 PM

The lower the percentile, the lighter he is. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what my DD's pediatrician told me. She said that the higher the number is, the more 'overweight' they are. (I remember that part because my DD was in the 90th percentile, and is by NO MEANS fat, or even heavy. She's normal.) So the lower, the skinnier. Maybe that's what he's concerned about. He's too skinny, maybe. Good luck.

skittlenbonesma
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:39 PM

No I did not. I actually did not even know that. What is the AAP's advice?

Quoting elleinad:

Did you point out to him his recommendation goes against the AAP's advice?

Ixchel183
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM

i would wean him when you are ready, sure doctors are educated people but they don't know everything. you are the mom here, follow your heart on what is best for your children.

BabyJulesMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I say the same thing. I would continue only because I want to. Unless DR. had a REALLLY good reason why you should stop BF, I'd continue. BF is really good for baby.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)