Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please settle this for us.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:26 PM
  • 51 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you pull over and be quite for a funeral procession?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 126

View Results

Hubby and I were driving home today * I was driving* and on the other side of the median, we saw a funeral procession. I immediately pulled over to the shoulder and turned off  the radio. If it hadn't of been pouring rain,  I would have got out of the car to stand.  Hubby just looked at me like I was nuts. He had never seen anyone do this before. I was taught this is a sign of last respect even tho I may not even know the person.  Do you do this or have even heard of this?

Proud Army Wife to William since '07 and Mommy to Hunter Lee since May '08

Sorry if things are misspelled, missing letters or spaces. Spell checker freezes my computer and for some reason my keys aren't working when I type fast.  Please don't bash me for simple spelling issues.

I'm a CIO to a point, spanking, cussing, yelling, screaming mommy! My son is happy, loved and fatter than a butterball, my husband is the same way and that's how I love it!  If you have a problem, hate it for ya, I'm not changing shit.

yellow ribbonveterans day

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziggy-Stardust
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I don't do that, would not do that and I don't know anyone who does. I only make sure I do not pull into or get in the middle of a funeral procession. I let them have their right of way.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Joslyns_mommy

I pull over for the procession but I do not turn off the radio. I do think of the people I see driving in the procession and my herat goes out to all of them. I thought it was normal for people to do it.

Jacky

http://ourstickybean.blogspot.com/

http://survivingthefirsttrimester.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephenandjacky

Melmomof2girls

i have only ever pulled over when its on the same side of the road as me, or going threw a light

mamaleah17
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I thought everyone did that, too. I have always done that.

GDIMOM

I would get out of the way but not pull over and stop. Never happened to me before.

Shellee272

I answered yes..I've never gotten out of my car tho, but I do say a prayer.  I don't know where I got it from because no one in my family does it.  But IMO it is me showing respect (doesn't matter who it is). 

Leahmaria7981
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I pull over, regardless of which side of the road they are on. I don't turn my radio off though. I live ina  small town, but I've seen people in the city on interstates pull over. I've heard this is something that is more common in the south. Don't know how truthful that is, I've just heard that a few times.

AJmum
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM

I pull over and I shut off the radio but I dont get out

IowaMommie

I pull over going either direction, but do not get out of the car or turn off the radio.  It is illegal here not to pull over and stop and if there is a cop leading or following the line, they will pull you over and ticket you for it.

marshsmom

I don't do this where I live (in the city) but this is a normal practice in the country.  When we are visiting family outside of the city we pull off the road, but I don't get out of my car, but lots of other people do.  I've seen this my whole life growing up but only in the country, never seen it in the city.  I don't think it's odd at all, but very respectful.  I'm sure those in the procession appreciate it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)