Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM
  • 16 Replies

hands down:

The best Harry Potter movie yet!

Im, Laura. I hope you learned that from my screen name. If not, well now you know. I live in Alaska. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a Snow Ninja. Although my day job is standing outside in front of my igloo looking like Igloo Trash in my snow boots, seal skin tank top & short skirt and screaming profanities at my neighbors. I'm marvelous, I know. I have a daughter named Lorelai. Her daddy is Chris and together we make one big family of Igloo trash. Be Jealous.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karinza
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Coming from someone who has read the books but not in 2 years or so, I agree.

If I had read the book again right before I saw the movie, I would have been pissed.

I LOVED it. Loved it. Can't wait to see it again.

Keri: Writer & Novelist
Wife to Mike, Stepmom to Nik, Mommy to Danica,
Adoptive Mommy to Enzo, Pac, Sally & Oreo!
in loveamerican footballtoddler girlpuppy(x4)

brittneyon
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:44 PM

agreed! it didnt follow the book completely butttttt, a harry potter movie never fails.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

i am not a woman who lost my baby weight in two weeks, lets others control my parenting, and is never tired. but i am strong. i am invincible.
I AM MOM.

Age cannot define how good of a mother you are

21noahsmama21
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM

is it any scarier than the first 5?  My almost 2 year old LOVES them but I'm afraid the new one may be more scary and he may not like it.  I am thinking about taking DH to see it this weekend and deciding from there if we should take our son, but some input from you ladies would be greatly appreciated, lol!  I can't wait to see it!

Karinza
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Quoting 21noahsmama21:

is it any scarier than the first 5?  My almost 2 year old LOVES them but I'm afraid the new one may be more scary and he may not like it.  I am thinking about taking DH to see it this weekend and deciding from there if we should take our son, but some input from you ladies would be greatly appreciated, lol!  I can't wait to see it!

I think they have gotten progressively darker, but I haven't seen the first 5 in a while. There are scary parts. My 11 year old had his hands over his eyes in some scenes. I don't think it's as much of a child's movie as it used to be.

ETA: I would see it by yourself first and decide then. I haven't had a 2 year old and not sure what they can handle. Maybe other moms can be more helpful...

Laura4807
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:52 PM

yes, the end could be a bit scary for a young child.... the movies got a little "darker" and scary because the books did as well.

The 7th movie is probably going to be even "scarier" lol

Personally, my daughter is 2 and I wouldnt take her.

Quoting 21noahsmama21:

Im, Laura. I hope you learned that from my screen name. If not, well now you know. I live in Alaska. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a Snow Ninja. Although my day job is standing outside in front of my igloo looking like Igloo Trash in my snow boots, seal skin tank top & short skirt and screaming profanities at my neighbors. I'm marvelous, I know. I have a daughter named Lorelai. Her daddy is Chris and together we make one big family of Igloo trash. Be Jealous.

Laura4807
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Oh me too.. lol. I havent read the 6th one in a few years.... but at least the producers of Harry Potter movies didnt mess up the story line as bad as the producer of Twilight!

Quoting Karinza:

If I had read the book again right before I saw the movie, I would have been pissed.

21noahsmama21
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I have noticed that as well, that the movies go from somewhat light and happy, to dark and mildly creepy.  The whole atmosphere of the first three is very different than the 4th and 5th (and likely the 6th) movies.  I'll just take DH to see it and judge from there.  My son doesn't scare easily, but better to be safe than sorry.  I never really planned on letting him see any of them until he was a little older, but it was on one day and he just LOVED it, so he's watched all five and loves them all.  I might just wait for him to see it after it comes out on video.  The loud and dark atmosphere of the theater may add to the "scare factor" of the movie. 

Quoting Karinza:

Quoting 21noahsmama21:

I think they have gotten progressively darker, but I haven't seen the first 5 in a while. There are scary parts. My 11 year old had his hands over his eyes in some scenes. I don't think it's as much of a child's movie as it used to be.

ETA: I would see it by yourself first and decide then. I haven't had a 2 year old and not sure what they can handle. Maybe other moms can be more helpful...

Karinza
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I can't speak from experience bc I haven't read Twilight or seen the movie but my sister has done both and was very upset with the film and she loved the books. I do believe the HP movies have captured the heart of what's it about and I couldn't be happier with who they chose to play the 3 major characters. I know they have to cut parts out and change things around when switching to film but I still feel cheated...lol.

Quoting Laura4807:

Oh me too.. lol. I havent read the 6th one in a few years.... but at least the producers of Harry Potter movies didnt mess up the story line as bad as the producer of Twilight!

Quoting Karinza:

MNLETLE
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I hear it sucks if you read the books...but I don't so I guess I'll like it!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Laura4807
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM

This is very true.... there is one scene where I about jumped out of my skin... Producers do that though... quiet, suspenseful, quiet, quiet, BOOOOOM!

Quoting 21noahsmama21:

I have noticed that as well, that the movies go from somewhat light and happy, to dark and mildly creepy.  The whole atmosphere of the first three is very different than the 4th and 5th (and likely the 6th) movies.  I'll just take DH to see it and judge from there.  My son doesn't scare easily, but better to be safe than sorry.  I never really planned on letting him see any of them until he was a little older, but it was on one day and he just LOVED it, so he's watched all five and loves them all.  I might just wait for him to see it after it comes out on video.  The loud and dark atmosphere of the theater may add to the "scare factor" of the movie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)