• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fat cop gets job back PIOG *poll added* Would you want him responding to a family emergency?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM
  • 38 Replies

Poll

Question: After watching the video, would you rather have this officer - who will be on road patrol - respond to an emergency involving your family or would you rather have an officer who's in better physical shape?

Options:

I'd be fine with the officer in the video

I'd want a different officer who's in better shape

I don't care/other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2009/07/28/dnt.ne.fat.police.officer.ketv

Is this really who you want responding to your home if there was an emergency?? I hope he retires or gets into shape quick (I don't think the latter is going to happen) because there is NO way he can do his job at that size.

http://www.paintedpixels.com

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyLovesLuke
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM

What if he cannot control his weight because of a health issue? I think they should give him a position not so physical. None of us know him....he could be an amazing cop.

Jafra_mommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

What if he cannot control his weight because of a health issue? I think they should give him a position not so physical. None of us know him....he could be an amazing cop.

He was on the force for 30 years and sued to get his job back on road patrol. If your husband was a police officer and he was patroling, would you rather have this guy or a guy who's in decent shape with him?

He can't be an amazing cop if he can't even stand up from a kneeling position without using his hands. He can't kneel down, pick up a child and stand back up. That's not amazing, that's putting the people he's supposed to be serving in danger because he can't do his job.

Sarah112007
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I think they should give him a desk job until he can get into shape. It may not be his fault that he's overweight but if he can't do the physical things required for the job he shouln't be allowed to do it. In an emergency there is no way he could do what was needed, the guy can't even get up without problems how could he control a bad situation

MommyLovesLuke
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:00 PM

FYI. My husband is a cop. Actually he is a cop with a serious health issue, he has crohn's disease. There are other jobs he might be able to do on patrol. I try not judge someone I don't know.

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

He was on the force for 30 years and sued to get his job back on road patrol. If your husband was a police officer and he was patroling, would you rather have this guy or a guy who's in decent shape with him?

He can't be an amazing cop if he can't even stand up from a kneeling position without using his hands. He can't kneel down, pick up a child and stand back up. That's not amazing, that's putting the people he's supposed to be serving in danger because he can't do his job.

cdecker83
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:01 PM

My hubby is a cop.  In his 8 months since the academy graduation he has already had a couple of foot pursuits.  So yes, to an extent a cop needs to be in decent shape.  There are other positions in the department that involve sitting at a desk, maybe someone who is overweight could do that.  But to be on the road you never know what is going to happen and you may need to get physical or YOUR life and the lives of OTHERS that depend on police to protect them could be at risk.

Jafra_mommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:02 PM

It's not a matter of judgment, it's a matter of safety. He can't do the job he sued to get back. If they put him at a desk where he's not putting other people's lives at risk that's one thing. But he sued to get the position he was fired from back - a position which he is physically unable to do.

So answer the question - if your family had an emergency would you want him responding? Would you want him working with your DH on patrol?

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

FYI. My husband is a cop. Actually he is a cop with a serious health issue, he has crohn's disease. There are other jobs he might be able to do on patrol. I try not judge someone I don't know.

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

MommyLovesLuke
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I would be fine with him being with my husband....but my husband isnt on patrol and we dont have partners here. As for him responding.....like I said if there were a more accommodating position for him then sure.

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

It's not a matter of judgment, it's a matter of safety. He can't do the job he sued to get back. If they put him at a desk where he's not putting other people's lives at risk that's one thing. But he sued to get the position he was fired from back - a position which he is physically unable to do.

So answer the question - if your family had an emergency would you want him responding? Would you want him working with your DH on patrol?

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

twitchymom78
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM

well i am just happy that is not my home town

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

busy mom

Jafra_mommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM

That's not what I asked. I guess I'll have to be specific. Let's say you get into a car accident. You're seriously injured, your child has been thrown from the vehicle. Would you prefer for someone who can't even get down and back up from a kneeling position to respond or someone who could assist your child quickly and safely?

This guy is putting EVERYONE at risk by going back on road patrol. How can you not understand that?

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

I would be fine with him being with my husband....but my husband isnt on patrol and we dont have partners here. As for him responding.....like I said if there were a more accommodating position for him then sure.

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

MommyLovesLuke
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM

And  how can you not get it thru your head I do not agree. I would prefer anyone who had medical experience to help my child, and considering 99.9% of the time where I live an ambulance is the 1st responder to  an accident no matter how small....I would trust the fact my son would be taken care of. Did I say he should  be able to do everything? No. I said he needed to find a more appropriate position. Of course he should lose weight....but I am not going to judge him.

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

That's not what I asked. I guess I'll have to be specific. Let's say you get into a car accident. You're seriously injured, your child has been thrown from the vehicle. Would you prefer for someone who can't even get down and back up from a kneeling position to respond or someone who could assist your child quickly and safely?

This guy is putting EVERYONE at risk by going back on road patrol. How can you not understand that?

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting MommyLovesLuke:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)