Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Americans really Struggling or is the ME NOW Attitude finally catching up?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM
  • 22 Replies

I do believe that some Americans are struggling financially. However, I wonder how many would not be struggling as much if they didn't choose to live paycheck to paycheck or spend money they way they do. We justify spending money on stuff that is important to us (internet, cell phones, newer bigger cars, cable, eating out, expensive clothes, etc you get the point). We always have a reason why we HAVE to have them. But in reality do we? Could we all make it without cell phones? I know we survived 15 years ago without them. Yes, they are convenient, but necessary? I doubt it. If we got rid of internet and game systems, and cable, perhaps the family core would be stronger and there would be less problems in the world. I know this does not apply to everyone. I am just curious, if the me attitude in America is finally catching up with us and it is playing a huge role in the downturn of our economy.

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2boymama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I think its a little of both, depends on the family you're talking about... I think as a society we have definetly been spoiled for quite awhile, but some people are used to living modestly.

stuckinamess
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I agree some American families live modestly some lve in down right poverty. I just believe that a lot of families idea of modest is so far from reality that they put themselves in compromising positions financially.

Quoting 2boymama:

I think its a little of both, depends on the family you're talking about... I think as a society we have definetly been spoiled for quite awhile, but some people are used to living modestly.

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I agree to an exstent. There are people out there who have their priorities really mixed up.

Paesana82
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I agree that it's a little of both. I think there are a lot of people who just spend way more than they have. In fact I KNOW a lot of people who do that.

I know that personally though, we don't do that and we aren't doing that great financially. Jobs aren't that easy to find now. I know personally, we do really well on the money that we do make and most people wouldn't be able to get by on what we do, but I think there are plenty of people out there who are truely struggling but IMO, even more who just aren't good with their money.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

LaNette000
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

We do well to meet the bills each month, we don't poot away our $ cause there is none to poot away. We buy the basics that we have to have and still struggle. Times are definitely tough, and I don't go out buying things I don't need. My kids need school clothes and am praying now if we will have the $ this weekend to get them a few basic items and afford groceries at the same time. Cause actually I made sure to pay ahead on a few things so this Weeks pay check could be used for this purpose. 

brandithesuperm
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM

I agree to an extent as well. Yes Americans have been greedy and living way beyond there means. No all but alot. But yes now I do believe alot of people are struggling finanvially because of the economy and lay offs that are now happening.

My so was layed off from the oil field a few weeks ago. But we have had to make very little adjustment to the way we are living. We are living on unemployment and money we have saved. No not all Americans can do that because alot work for minimum wage and are not able to save the way were did.

But if you make minimum wage there is also ne need for 200,000 dollar home and a brand new Navigator. Just my opinion.

Shiiloe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:20 PM

When I see cars parked in front of houses that clearly cost more than the house did, I really have to wonder what they are thinking. I'm sure that the car purchase was far beyond their means.  Struggling to buy food when you have an $80,000 car parked in the driveway is a little strange, IMO.

homemommie
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I can agree with you. What kills me is that I am and always has been a person that has lived paycheck to paycheck. I do not live a lavish life. I do not have designer clothes, purses or even a expensive car. It really does tick me off to see people that live like today is their last day and are able to buy all these things w/o a care while we are lucky enough to put food on the table.

Billie_Bush
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Well if they got rid of satellite my hubby would not have a job, and we would be screwed, so yes I think its tv is necessary... for my husband to still have a job.

Shortiekt
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM
Well I was broke before the recession/depression and I'm broke now. So not much has changed in this household. LOL

All jokes aside... things happen for a reason. Also in economic course (as with life) what goes up must come down. It's a cycle and eventually will return to prosperity for some.

I believe a lot of greed has moved our economy down. We lost our sense of America and keeping jobs here at home to make some items a few cents cheaper and fatten the pocket of those in the upper echelon of the larger corporations.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)