Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Credit fraud dilemma. UPDATE

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM
  • 28 Replies

ok. a little history first- I was under 18 with my first pregnancy. Still covered under my dads insurance, not living with him. My dad has serious mental issues he refuses to acknowledge. Many years of drug/alcohol abuse took their toll.

I recently checked my credit score for the first time. Wanted to see why I keep getting denied for everything. Well there's 2 "adverse accounts" listed that I had no knowledge of. And yesterday my dad dropped off a box of my old junk and in it were manybills from the Dr's offices stating that if they werent paid they would be sent to creditors and then more letters from the creditor saying they would notify the credit companies of my refusal to pay. All of these letters were opened, some he even made notes on.

I have tried talking to the police and the ID theft/fruad hotline and have gotten no ideas on what I can do to fix this. I would really like to think that just because my dad's an asshole my credit isn't screwed for the next 5 years. I'd like them removed from my report and don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas that could help. My dad and I have a horrible relationship, he is a compulsive liar, manipulative abuser. I just can't have him in my sons life. I don't want to get him in trouble if I dont have to but I need to fix this. Please help if you have anything. Im so frusterated and at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions ladies! I am going to contact the creditors and credit companies tomorrow and see if I am still responsible since I was under 18. I'll update again when I know something more. I REALLY appreciate ya'lls help. I was soo stressed about it. thank you!

I called both the credit companies listed on my account and both agreed to remove the dept from my name and bill my dad. Since I was a minor, and they were medical bills they had no problem. had a little run-around with the second company but got it taken care of. It was so easy, I'm so relieved! Thank you, thank you, thank you soooo much for the suggestions and help. I had no clue that I could fix it that easily because I was under 18. Thanks again, I can't say it enough! Yay for building my credit back up!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
exceptalilfish
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM

i dont know if i am reading it right but you want them taken off your credit because your dad withheld them from you? or he used your info and they are his dr bills? if it is the first i dont think there is anything you can do because you cant prove it. anyone could say, oh my "so and so" had them and i never knew" kwim?

RaiderMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM

This should be really simple to fix as long as you were not an emancipated minor (or considered one). What you will need to do is write a letter to each credit bureau stating that at the time these expenses were made you were a minor. A minor can not legally agree to pay anything or enter a contract therefore the creditors have no recourse.

TLVS
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM

If these bills were to cover YOUR pregnancy, even if you were under 18 and were in your name, in many cases it isn't your Dad's responsibility.  Legally, I mean, even if you are covered by his insurance.  (Don't get me wrong, I think he should have payed or helped you pay them, or at least told you they were there, but I am pretty sure there is nothing you can do to get them off your credit.) You are not the first adult whose credit is messed up because they have medical bills from when they were a minor.  It SUCKS.  Sorry.

You may have to get a lawyer involved if you want this all cleared up, because most companies aren't really going to want to wipe away big old bills like that.

Cait5156
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Quoting exceptalilfish:

i dont know if i am reading it right but you want them taken off your credit because your dad withheld them from you? or he used your info and they are his dr bills? if it is the first i dont think there is anything you can do because you cant prove it. anyone could say, oh my "so and so" had them and i never knew" kwim?

except that I can "prove" it based on the fact that he did write notes on them, and I first looked through the box in front of several people to verify they were already open. but they were my bills

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM

If charges were rung up on your card that you did not authorize, then there is probably a way to prove that in court.

If the medical bills that you thought were covered were not covered and you were not aware of this befor looking at bills that you had not received because your mail was not given to you, was opened ect then you may have some way to get this matter under control as well.

You have a parent who is not in their right mind, and as hard as that is to handle when you were a child, now you are not. So handling this matter in a way that does not hurt you is how you heal.

Start by getting all your debts in order and look at them on a spread sheet. The only way to work those down is to whittle on them with a will over time. Pay off the little ones and move toward the bigest one, until that is the only one left...the momentum will build the closer you get to the end and when you finally have it all paid off will be another Gold Metal Olympic Moment you can celebrate by throwing your hands in the air and taking a bow!

Then start saving money with the same pace in mind. And that will land you independant in a mere few decades. So start with that plan.

Cait5156
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Quoting RaiderMommy:

This should be really simple to fix as long as you were not an emancipated minor (or considered one). What you will need to do is write a letter to each credit bureau stating that at the time these expenses were made you were a minor. A minor can not legally agree to pay anything or enter a contract therefore the creditors have no recourse.

Thanks for the idea! I think TRVLS is right though, because I was pregnant they were my responisbility. either way it's worth a try. thanks again

Cmyfantasyworld
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Ok..questions

You were on his insurance right? Why didnt the insurance cover the bills?

Two, they are your medical bills, right?

Hubby and i had to have a ton of crap taken off his credit report that his parents did to him..not a fun situation..

RaiderMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Not sure what state you are in but here, pregnancy doesnt make you a non-minor. The birth of a child in some ways does but not pregnancy. If you think of it as a pregnant teen who gives their child up for adoption..Does she then revert back to being a minor once the child is adopted? KWIM I too was under 18 when I had my first and was still considered a minor and any bills I incurred were the responsibility of my parents.

Quoting Cait5156:

Quoting RaiderMommy:

Thanks for the idea! I think TRVLS is right though, because I was pregnant they were my responisbility. either way it's worth a try. thanks again

Cait5156
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Quoting Cmyfantasyworld:

Ok..questions

You were on his insurance right? Why didnt the insurance cover the bills?

Two, they are your medical bills, right?

Hubby and i had to have a ton of crap taken off his credit report that his parents did to him..not a fun situation..

the dr's were not "in the network" so not all services were covered apparently.

and yes they were my medical bills.

what kinda fun did hubby have to go through to clear it all up?

thanks

Cait5156
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Illinois, and now you got me thinking, I believe you're right. I think it's once I gave birth I was emmancipated. not once I concieved. Makes sence, thanks for helping clairfy that. I will try calling tomorrow and see if I can use that to clear it up. Thanks so much!!!!

Quoting RaiderMommy:

Not sure what state you are in but here, pregnancy doesnt make you a non-minor. The birth of a child in some ways does but not pregnancy. If you think of it as a pregnant teen who gives their child up for adoption..Does she then revert back to being a minor once the child is adopted? KWIM I too was under 18 when I had my first and was still considered a minor and any bills I incurred were the responsibility of my parents.

Quoting Cait5156:

Quoting RaiderMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)