Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help here, has to do with police force(no drama)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM
  • 16 Replies

My husband wants to get out as planned in 2011. And he wants to become a cop, but he doesnt know where the best place to go is. He doesnt want to go back to Indiana. So we are looking, but he also doesnt know really what to look for lol. I mean a decent place to live within a decent price range. I guess how the police force is in that area things like that? Am I asking the right questions? lol. Sorry if its too confusing

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:57 PM

find out the websites of the cities or counties and then check their job bulletins. they should have wage and whether they are hiring.

city = police officer

county=sheriffs deputy

stuckinamess
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM

He could also consider going to a federal agency. , Border Patrol, Dept. Of VA, FBI, Capital Police, Secret Service, US Marshalls etc.

It is usually easier to get on at big police departments first. He has to decide fi he wants to put himself through an academy and then apply in that state or get hired and have them pay his way through the academy.

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Try TX.  The State Troopers and Highway Patrol LOVE military guys!!  And Austin and Fort Worth are pretty much always hiring for city cops.  Give me a little bit and I'll get you the websites.

ProudArmyWife88
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

So they pay your way through the academy? So we have to pay for him to go through the academy? I didnt know that

Quoting stuckinamess:

He could also consider going to a federal agency. , Border Patrol, Dept. Of VA, FBI, Capital Police, Secret Service, US Marshalls etc.

It is usually easier to get on at big police departments first. He has to decide fi he wants to put himself through an academy and then apply in that state or get hired and have them pay his way through the academy.

ProudArmyWife88
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

He doesnt want TX. LOl. Too busy. He wont bored as I told him. He is considering it though

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

Try TX.  The State Troopers and Highway Patrol LOVE military guys!!  And Austin and Fort Worth are pretty much always hiring for city cops.  Give me a little bit and I'll get you the websites.

stuckinamess
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM

It depends. Some agencies will pay for you to go to the academy. Basically you are hired before you have gone through the academy. Other places want you certified already and he will have to pay his way through the academy (gi bill covers it).

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Lol well then definitely nix the major cities lol.  TX does have A LOT of rural areas and lots of hwy that goes through nowhere lol.  Heres the State Trooper site so ya'll can at least look.  It never hurts to research everywhere. 

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainingacademy/Trooper_Trainee/traineelinks.htm

Quoting ProudArmyWife88:

He doesnt want TX. LOl. Too busy. He wont bored as I told him. He is considering it though

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

ProudArmyWife88
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM

See sorry for all the questions. Im just trying to get everything figured out so we aint stranded at my parents house lol. But I was told once he got out he couldnt use his G.I bill. So can I look up what agencies will pay for it? And if he can get hired right away?

Quoting stuckinamess:

It depends. Some agencies will pay for you to go to the academy. Basically you are hired before you have gone through the academy. Other places want you certified already and he will have to pay his way through the academy (gi bill covers it).

MedicMommyAnne
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I would look into departments that are members of the FOP.  Union jobs get better pay and the FOP has their back.  I would avoid small local departments.  They don't pay as well, and they are more likely to through the guys/girls to the wolves if there is any issue.

My DH is a City Cop and when he was hired he had a college degree and no experience.  They sent him through the Police Academy and he was paid a regular salary while going through the academy. 

You hubby also should look at requirements for employment.  I know the department my hubby works for requires at least an associates degree in criminal justice, but waives that requirement with so many years of military experience.

Also you will have to look and see how often places test.  Here they only test once every 2 years.  Other places test more often depending on the number of officers they need.

Good Luck

ProudArmyWife88
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Did I read that right? $2000 a month for cadet training? Huh?!

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

Lol well then definitely nix the major cities lol.  TX does have A LOT of rural areas and lots of hwy that goes through nowhere lol.  Heres the State Trooper site so ya'll can at least look.  It never hurts to research everywhere. 

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainingacademy/Trooper_Trainee/traineelinks.htm

Quoting ProudArmyWife88:

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)