Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 year old and disipline

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM
  • 15 Replies

I REALLY don't know how you can discipline a 1 year old, but I'm very curious about it now...my son is NAUGHTY. He throws things, just 10 minutes ago he smacked me in the face with a brush and gave me a fat lip and a bloody nose. It needs to stop. This is my first child, so I have no idea how and when to start to discipline a child. He KNOWS what no means but won't listen. We'll tell him not to do something and he'll go and do it again with a HUGE smile on his face.

Is 1 years old too early to start punishments (time outs, things like that)? When and how should I start? We tell him no, but that isn't helping anymore...

Lilypie - (DxaW)

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Septpreggo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM

id like to know too, but dd just turned 10 months and has huge temper tantrums and throws things, how do u discipline a baby?

momto3infl
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Put your child in their crib when they do things like that for a short time frame ( no more than 5min) and tell them why that they did wrong.  I tried this many times even at a younger age didnt work so we turned to spanking-now we just have to tell them they will get a spanking and they act right-only do that if it really bad.

trishasjunebug
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I know! I have no idea how to let a 1 year old know what he is doing is wrong. I don't want him running around thinking hitting people and throwing things is okay, but how do you disipline a baby?

Quoting Septpreggo:

id like to know too, but dd just turned 10 months and has huge temper tantrums and throws things, how do u discipline a baby?

Lilypie - (DxaW)

RaiderMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM

You cant discipline a 1yr old, well not effectively, you can only redirect at this stage. They may know what no is but not necessarily the full extent of what it means. At this age and for the next 6-8 months they get a rise out of getting a reaction from you. So when hitting or throwing something, you react, goal accomplished. Continue to grab the hands and get face to face and say No sternly. Dont laugh or smile at the tantrums or other unacceptable behavior. Go ridiculously overboard with praise when they do an act that you do like.

lizzy-k
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM

i have raised six kids and i spank my kids. but at one year old the only thing is to smack his hand. dont hit them really hard but just enough for him to feel it and tell him no. make sure that you tell him no when you do it so that he knows that he was wrong when he felt his hand being smacked. JUST MY OPINION THATS HOW MY CHILDREN LEARNED. please dont bash me

curls_tampa
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM
you have to do a routine that would work for the both of u and she u can discipline a one year old again is how u feel every one is different has has different thoughts in discipline u can start the corner time out or a small chair that is only used to time outs things like that but just to know that it will take time for them to get used to knowing in why ur putting them on the corner on on hte chair or what ever u decide to do so u just have to stick to it and if the baby leaves the corner or chair u have to put them back into their designated time is up I do time out for 3 minutes been that my son is going to be 3
babybump87
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM

i agree....use the crib for a time ut....but place them in the crib asap after they do something bad... say...."you do not hit people, its not nice, now you have to have a timeout"   then leave for 3 minutes...come back and say something like...."mommy loves you but you hurt mommy when you hit me, thats not nice and you cqant hit people oryou will go back into time out"....they may not beableo understand fully, but getting them started at a young age with explaining things to them will make it easier in the long run...i also have a one year old, he is usually pretty well behaved...but i use the time out method when he does throw a fit... i tried swatting his hand at first but then he started trying to do it to me so i stopped immediately.

Septpreggo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Quoting RaiderMommy:

You cant discipline a 1yr old, well not effectively, you can only redirect at this stage. They may know what no is but not necessarily the full extent of what it means. At this age and for the next 6-8 months they get a rise out of getting a reaction from you. So when hitting or throwing something, you react, goal accomplished. Continue to grab the hands and get face to face and say No sternly. Dont laugh or smile at the tantrums or other unacceptable behavior. Go ridiculously overboard with praise when they do an act that you do like.

thats what i do i redirect her onto something else, cuz she has tantrums when she grabs stuff off shelves in stores and i have to put the item back, but this is a good post cuz ive been wondering this myself so much lately

connietrrll
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:27 PM

This is what I was going to say also. A stern no works well at that age. Tell them that hurt, and pretend to cry. The will understand it.

Quoting RaiderMommy:

Swt_Mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:29 PM

My son will be 1 next month and when he does something wrong like touch the tv i tell him no very sterly and move him from it i have popped (of course not very hard) his hand when he tried to pull something out the socket but usually i redirect him like a PP said.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)