• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feel bad for my newborn baby boy! ***UPDATE

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son has had green eye discharge since he was born.  At his 3 day appt. the doctor said it was just an irritation to the stuff they put in his eyes when he was born, and it would be gone by the time he was 7 days. Well it got worse, and we were wiping his eye a few times a day, so he could open them.  Well right about 2 weeks itstopped minus a little bit in the corner of his eyes.  So today at 2 weeks and 4 days he had an appointment to make sure he had gained his weight back.  I didn't bring up the eye discharge, b/c it appeared it went away.  Well RIGHT after the appt it started to be bad again.  We've wiped his eyes atleast 5 or 6 times throughout the day.  We can wipe them and then 30 minutes later it's already getting into his eyes again.  What bothers me is the fact he can't open his eyes when this happens, and it just looks annoying.  The gunk stuff gets in his eyes, and I can't imagine having to deal with someone just sitting directly on the eyeball.  I heard of the green gunk happening for blocked tear ducts, but I am guessing a dr could tell this by looking at their eyes with their light... or not, I don't know.  But anyone have experience with this?  Is there an eye drop or something I can use to help?  I'm calling the doctor tomorrow, and obviously won't use anything without them oking it, but really want feedback from other mothers as well, in hopes of hearing their is some relief for him.  Help or a BUMP would be great!

****UPDATE:  Ok so now I'm alittle more concerned, and have a question for anyone who has ever dealt with a blocked tear duct.  Did their eye(s) ever get blood shot?  Yesterday when the eye discharge got real bad there was no redness.  But today I was looking at his eye, and realized taht the one witht he discharge was blood shot all in the white, like little red veins everywhere, and the other is still white.  The doc at the hospital said they weren't concerned with the eye discharge unless his eye was red.  So I called his doc and she won't in, but the nurse was concerned about the redness so he's got an appt in 2 hours.  Just wondering is this common for blocked tear ducts? 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cheryl_03
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Sounds like a clogged tear duct to me, or maybe an allergy. Do you have any pets around? take a nice warm wash cloth and clean around the area. do like a compress with it. If that doesn't work take him back to the dr and they can give you eye drops for it. Hope he feels better.

iluvmylilmen
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Poor guy..here's a bump for you. I have no idea. Good luck

Septpreggo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM

my dd had a blocked tear duct and she had the green gunk for like 2 or 3 months and i kept asking doesnt she need an eye antibiotic and they said no it will stop when the duct opened ans sure enough one day it just stopped

Eadanu
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM

poor baby. Here is a bump for him

dswarila
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM

My son had clogged tear ducts and went through the same thing... The doc said to use a warm washcloth to clean it as often as needed. My son's went away after a few weeks and was just fine without any eye drops or anything.

mamabear1225
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM

my little boy had the same. I gept going back and they kept saying it was a blocked duct. I eventually ended up getting some ointment... It didnt really do anything though. Every baby is different. Just watch it Baby is still very youmng. Good luck though and congrats :)

Septpreggo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM

oh yeah i was feeling so worried for her too, it looked terrible i had to wipe it all day but they claimed it didnt bother her

LeanneC
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Squirt some milk in it a few times a day and it should help it to clear faster.

FDNYwife
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

sounds like blocked tear duct, usually outgrows it, experienced it with 2 of my 3 children

depsiua
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I have tons of experience with blocked tear ducts.  It sounds like that's what he has.  Doctors can't see the blocked duct, they just know it's blocked because of the discharge.  There aren't really any drops that will clear it up.  You need to keep the eye clean with warm water on a cloth.  You can  massage the tear duct to hopefully help it open up.  Ask your doctor to show you how.  My son had problems with his tear duct until 20 months.  He had two surgeries to fix it.  The first at a year was just a quick probe to break up blockage.  Turns out it wasn't blocked, it was narrowed.  So at 20 months, he had a surgery to put a stent in the duct.  Thank goodness, that worked and now he finally has clean eyes.  It's really annoying, but it never seemed to bother him, it was just annoying to clean all the time, plus he did look really sad with the goopy eye.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)