• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appetizer ideas for a wedding reception?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

one of my friends is getting married this sunday, and she is asking all the bridesmaids to bring an appetizer to her wedding reception. it's a potluck more or less. I have to bring 3 appetizer dishes that will serve over 200 people. i would appreciate any ideas.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidansmommy529
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM

veggie pizza

meat and cheese platter

veggies

not to be rude but did you have to buy a bridesmaid dress?, buy a present and now buy the food too? isnt' thank a bit much?

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Meatballs ~ buy the bagged precooked already have sauce on them in frozen section at Walmart.  Their brand is good too!  I usually warm them in my crock pot and you can add extra sauce if you like.  A few bags of those go a long ways!

Sausage balls, fresh fruit tray or dipped in cream cheese dip or caramel dip, veggie tray, chips & salsa and pigs in a blanket.

They also have the precooked chicken wings down the frozen section already have sauce on them and you can add them to your crock pot just like the meatballs.  They have their brand as well and are pretty affordable.

kgsharber
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Stuffed Mushrooms are easy. Literally make a couple of boxes of stuffing, put them in some mushrooms. Throw a few dollops of butter in the baking pan & bake @ 350 for 20 mins. Top with parmesan cheese before serving.

Another is a Crock Pot of Cheese dip w/ chips.

My final input is to get some french loafs from the bakery, cut them on an angle & top with cheese & sprinkle with garlic powder. Bake for about 15 mins on 325.

CBtatt_splash-1.gif picture by whisperingdragon

Leener3
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

You have to bring 3 appetizers that EACH feed 200 people? Or 3 appetizers that feed a total of 200 people?

Either way, that is a hell of a lot to ask of a bridesmaid.

Did she give you any criteria? I mean hot? Cold? Will there be utensils or finger food only? Is there refrigeration? A microwave? Any restrictions on items she doesn't like? One last question, what time do you have to be at the wedding? Early?  What I am trying to ask is, due to timing are these appetizers that have to be able to withstand being made the night before? Some appetizers don't hold up overnight and need to be made same day.   

mnmsmom2008
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Are you trying to do it for cheap or doesn't it matter.  We had shrimp cocktail for one app and that's super easy to throw together.  We also had veggies/dip & cheese/meat/cracker/pickle tray. 

zensister
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM

www.hillbillyhousewife.com has tons of cheap and crowd pleasing recipes!

austinsm0mmy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I would be keeping it really simple - something like

bruschetta with tomato basil and mozzarella = easy to prepare easy to serve, easy to eat.

just slice up som french bread - drizzle with olive oil and toast under the grill.  then slice mozzarella tomatos and layer with basil

oreo truffles - super easy to make and prepare.  google a recipe there are tonnes but supper yummy and effective

and maybe a salad of some kind.  like a proscioutto and honey dem melon salad with a light vinegrette. just buy bags of pre-made salad and you can probably my the melon already balled and then slice up proscioutto.  I would add some sliced almonds or other nuts just to give it some crunch.

out of curiousity is she expecting you PAY to feed her wedding guests or will she reimburse you the cost of food.  because thats just a weird set up to me. JMO

LuvinMyRockstar
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:42 PM

she didn't have us buy our dresses her parents did. and as far as gifts go. we didn't do gifts. she didn't want us to.

Quoting aidansmommy529:

veggie pizza

meat and cheese platter

veggies

not to be rude but did you have to buy a bridesmaid dress?, buy a present and now buy the food too? isnt' thank a bit much?

LuvinMyRockstar
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:43 PM

i have to bring 3 appetizer dishes, it can be hot or cold and anything i want. some people were telling me just to pick up some pizza rolls from walmart and nuke them lol

Quoting Leener3:

You have to bring 3 appetizers that EACH feed 200 people? Or 3 appetizers that feed a total of 200 people?

Either way, that is a hell of a lot to ask of a bridesmaid.

Did she give you any criteria? I mean hot? Cold? Will there be utensils or finger food only? Is there refrigeration? A microwave? Any restrictions on items she doesn't like? One last question, what time do you have to be at the wedding? Early?  What I am trying to ask is, due to timing are these appetizers that have to be able to withstand being made the night before? Some appetizers don't hold up overnight and need to be made same day.   

exceptalilfish
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? she wants you to bring 600 appetizers?? LAWL. i would bring 600 cheese and crackers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)