Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crib bumpers, yay or nay? (added vid of the nursery)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM
  • 42 Replies

Ok Dh and I finally got some cribs for the twins (yay!!!).  Anyway, their bed sets come with bumpers for the cribs, and I've heard mixed things about them.  If you use them it is a SIDS risk, if you don't you risk injury if they hit their head or arms or legs on the slats of the crib.  What about you ladies, did y'all use the bumpers or not?

It still has some work that needs doing.  Dad and I are doing a bear mural after I paint the walls.  We're doing a chain of "b is for bear" along the top of the wall.  I'll be putting wooden block letters (spelling their names) and a shadow box I decorated above each crib.  I'll also be adding a shadow box that my SIL gave me above each dresser, a teddy bear rug and a few other odds and ends.  Hopefully a rocking chair and lamp soon!

Lilypie

Lilypie

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarleighsMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I used bumpers in both of my girls' cribs. 

Kaelaasmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM

We used them with our daughter.

CafeMom Tickers

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

mrsjedwards
everyone ive asked so far says they used them just fine. i am still skeptical. they have breathable bumpers that i am thinking about getting. but they dont match the crib set lol so if thats what you are aiming for, i dunno
1busymomma03

I used the bumpers when they were little.

kgsharber
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM

My youngest son nearly broke his foot in between the crib bars. My oldest would hit his head on the crib bars when he was about 4-5 mos old.

I will never go w/o a bumper unless it is in the washer, lol. 

CBtatt_splash-1.gif picture by whisperingdragon

youngmommy2be09
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Im going to use a bumber until the baby can stand up and or crawl up on it and may fall out. 

I know this World Is So...Cold and Deceiving, But I keep my Head up...Like My nose is bleeding. - Lil Wayne- 

zgirls009

We're cosleeping for the first few months so we're not using any since they're no good once the baby can start to pull themselves up on them. 

How long are you planning on leaving your child unattended in the crib?  I think this would be a determining factor for me.  If the cribs are even set up in the same room as you, I wouldn't use the bumpers.  However, in another room, I would.  But then again, I dunno if twins lowers the risk of sids much like cosleeping. 

I don't suppose that helps much huh? 

katzmeow726

It may be me but the risk of injury seems higher than the sids risk (if there is any, as long as I secure it right)

Lilypie

Lilypie

momto3infl
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I used the bumper with all three of my kids.

Mia1983
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I used them up until DD started rolling over.  I don't understand how they are dangerous if the baby can't even move.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)