• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is wrong with me?! (question for bf'ers-sort of)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

My milk is drying up and I've been ridiculously moody the last week to week and a half.  Ugh!  What is going on!!!  I've never had a supply problem until now.  I don't know what to do or what to think.  At this point, what do I do to increase my milk supply? 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmandaLynn8706
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM

How long have you been bf?

Karinza
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM

That happened to me right before I got my period back. How old is baby? Has anything changed? Is she eating less or eating more solids, are you supplementing with anything? If it's something hormonal with your cycle then the problem should resolve itself soon.

Oh, are you pregnant?

Keri: Writer & Novelist
Wife to Mike, Stepmom to Nik, Mommy to Danica,
Adoptive Mommy to Enzo, Pac, Sally & Oreo!
in loveamerican footballtoddler girlpuppy(x4)

graciejoe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Why do you think your supply is drying up?  How long have you been nursing?

humanjunglegym
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM

My son's a little over a year so I know it's not a change in his diet.  He's actually wanted to nurse more the last couple days because I'm not producing as much.

I know my supply's down because he's actively sucking and not swallowing much.

To the pp who asked if I'm pregnant-Well, anything's possible but we're definitely not trying.  And if I am, I'm only a couple weeks.  I got my period like normal last month.

graciejoe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM

If he's wanting to nurse more your body is probably not used to making what he wants right now, probably a growth spurt coming on.  Just let him nurse to build your supply back up.  Supply and demand.

humanjunglegym
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Quoting graciejoe:

If he's wanting to nurse more your body is probably not used to making what he wants right now, probably a growth spurt coming on.  Just let him nurse to build your supply back up.  Supply and demand.

Even in the morning I'm not full.  I can feel it.  I can tell by how much he swallows.  What if I don't start making more?

logansmomma2007
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Is it possible to up your nursing sessions?  Also, you can try fenugreek, mothers milk tea, oatmeal, lots of water, and as a last resort...Reglan. 

Reglan is a medication that your Dr. can prescribe, but it has side effects.  I took it when all else failed, but had to stop once I started getting anxiety.  When I stopped I dried up completely...that is why I recommend it only as a last resort. 

logansmomma2007
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM

This is very true.  Putting the baby to breast more is the best way to increase your supply.

Quoting graciejoe:

Just let him nurse to build your supply back up.  Supply and demand.

graciejoe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Quoting humanjunglegym:

Quoting graciejoe:

Even in the morning I'm not full.  I can feel it.  I can tell by how much he swallows.  What if I don't start making more?

By that point mine never felt full, unless my daughter went all day without nursing.

sids ribbon

humanjunglegym
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Quoting graciejoe:

Quoting humanjunglegym:

Quoting graciejoe:

By that point mine never felt full, unless my daughter went all day without nursing.

Mine never feel "full-full'' anymore either but I can feel a difference.  They constantly feel the way they used to (as in a week or two ago) when he had just gotten done nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)