• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pros and Cons of breastfeeding?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

hi all! My name is natalie and i am 19 years old. I am expecting my first on march 2nd, of 2010. and i have decided to breastfeed, because i believe that is the healthiest kind of milk a baby could ask for.

what i was curious in knowing was, what are the pros and cons of breastfeeding? for those of you that have done this before. and what i mean by that is, as far as cons go, does it hurt? if so, how do i get rid of the pain, so it's a comfortable thing. what are the pros, what are the good things to you about breastfeeding?

i would ask my mother this, but she passed away when i was 17 and i don't honestly have any female mentors around me. so any advice would be awesome!

born again christian, expecting first child, young, happy, opinionated, perfectionist, beautiful disaster, going to breastfeed, country music lovin, organic food lover, married, mother.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LeanneC
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:21 PM

When I was a first time mom, the cons were the huge change in lifestyle... suddenly I had this creature that had to be attached to me 24/7.  It was a little overwhelming.   I also had to get over the misconception that babies only ate every few hours, or that they slept for any good length of time.  My son was high-needs... so not all babies are as difficult as he was, but those were my major issues.

This time there really aren't any cons... I was prepared for the worst, and I got a pretty easy baby.  Nursing is SOOO convenient for us... no dishes to do, nothing to buy, it's always with me, and I can nurse him doing nearly anything I need to do (chores, errands, park, etc...).  I also LOVE sleep and nursing allowed me to get a good nights rest from the start.

There are the obvious health benefits for mom and baby... but I would nurse my babies anyways for sheer convenience. 

I didn't have any pain... some women do.  It just depends.  You can only make sure you have a good latch and the pain will pass, if you have any.

zensister
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM

thanks so much for the info! it really helps. ya i am choosing to breastfeed because for one it's free lol, which is nice. and 2, i believe it's the healthiest for my baby, and then 3, because of the whole factor of i don't really have to worry about bottles and whatnot.

i am very low income and i qualify for wic but i honestly don't want to get on formula. i figure if i can breastfeed why not? you know, why waste that superpower lol

again thank you!

Quoting LeanneC:

When I was a first time mom, the cons were the huge change in lifestyle... suddenly I had this creature that had to be attached to me 24/7.  It was a little overwhelming.   I also had to get over the misconception that babies only ate every few hours, or that they slept for any good length of time.  My son was high-needs... so not all babies are as difficult as he was, but those were my major issues.

This time there really aren't any cons... I was prepared for the worst, and I got a pretty easy baby.  Nursing is SOOO convenient for us... no dishes to do, nothing to buy, it's always with me, and I can nurse him doing nearly anything I need to do (chores, errands, park, etc...).  I also LOVE sleep and nursing allowed me to get a good nights rest from the start.

There are the obvious health benefits for mom and baby... but I would nurse my babies anyways for sheer convenience. 

I didn't have any pain... some women do.  It just depends.  You can only make sure you have a good latch and the pain will pass, if you have any.

born again christian, expecting first child, young, happy, opinionated, perfectionist, beautiful disaster, going to breastfeed, country music lovin, organic food lover, married, mother.

illiana707
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Once you get used to it the pros of breastfeeding are many. Its easier, (no bottles) its  free, its healthier for baby, can help mom lose baby weight, bigger boobs for awhile:).

The cons are harder for others to feed your baby (can pump, leave a bottle of formula though), nursing in public for me anyway.

Good luck!

chelsilynn4boys
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I only know pros,I've never seen any cons of it....you don't have to waste money on bottles and formula,it's healthier than FF,much more convenient,don't have to carry around bottles,and it's an amazing bond.

"Having an abortion doesn't make you not a mom,it makes you a mom of a DEAD baby."

I'm a non vaccinating,non circumcising,pro-LIFE,country & rock music lovin',straight,Catholic,NATURAL DRUG FREE birthing,extended breastfeeding,non spanking,non baby wearing,older men lovin',non gay marriage supporting daughter to an army man,submissive wife to another army man,and stay-at-home momma to 4 gorgeous boys with another on the way!Did I cover everything?

isra1986
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM

The Con was that it hurt the first 2 weeks, bu nothing I couldn't get over.

Pros, health benifits are unbeleivable for mom and baby. Natural, it's what our bodys were intended to do. Easier (no bottles to wash and steralise and heat up. No formula to buy and forget when I go out) It's FREE!!!! It gave me time to sit and just stare at my precious angel, is our special time :)

Ixchel183
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM

i heard that if you qualify for wic and breastfeed you get some kind of extra stuff for you to eat for the first 6 months or year or something? just extra stuff since you don't use formula they replace what they would have used for that on extra food for you. i'm not sure if that is true since i don't use wic but it's something i heard that you might want to check out! and good luck bfing it is a great thing!

Kellie7708
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:46 PM

WIC can definitely still help you while you're breastfeeding--with cereal, milk, cheese, things like that. 

I would definitely be preapred for lots of pain, I've heard although never tried, that you can rub your nipples with a dry washcloth to get them toughened up but not sure if you want to try that.  Also, be prepared for little support.  I'm not saying for sure that you won't get any but at some hospitals they really don't offer much besides a quick visit from a lactation consultant.  Seek help from local breastfeeding groups like La Leche League.  Also, it would be really good to take a breastfeeding class.  I didn't cause I had this naive belief that it was going to be a completely natural and easy thing cause hey, women have always been doing this, we were made to do it---but no, for a first time mother, it is not necessarily that romanticized image of  a woman looking lovingly down on her newborn (at least not right away, but it will when you are used to things).  Just find a support time so if you are tempted to give up they will be there to encourage you.  And if it ends up not working out DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP!!!  Just try your best!

Chika88
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Hi zensister!

I just wanted to let you know that I am 20 years old and I am also a first time mom, I am due October 26th. I noticed you were a Christian, I am too! :-) yeay! Me and my hubby are low income and I am currently on WIC. I plan to breastfeed as well and WIC still helps BIG TIME especially if you breastfeed you get all kinds of extra stuff. They even give you a breast pump if you want one. After the baby is around 6 months they even give you baby food and cereal and stuff. It's really neat, they really encourage you to breastfeed. Make sure to look into it! It seems like we have lots in common! lol message me some time!

-Brianna

CafeMom Tickers
JCTVCBN
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I've been reading a very interesting book called:

The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted

THE CHINA STUDY Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health

by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas M. Campbell II.

This is a must read for everyone.

Anyways, the following is taken from the book.

It seems to me that we now have impressive evidence showing that cow's milk is likely to be an important cause of Type 1 diabetes.  When the results of all these studies are combined (both genetically susceptible and not susceptible), we find that children weaned too early and fed cow's milk have, on average, a 50-60% higher risk of Type 1 diabetes (1.5-1.6 times increased risk).

The earlier information on diet and Type 1 diabetes was impressive enough to cause two significant developments.  The American Academy of Pediatrics in 1994 "strongly encouraged" that infants in families where diabetes is more common not be fed cow's milk supplements for their first two years of life.  Second, many researchers have developed prospective studies--the kind that follow individuals into the future--to see if a careful monitoring of diet and lifestyle could explain the onset of Type 1 diabetes.

Two of the better known of these studies have been underway in Finland, one starting in the late 1980s and the other in the mid-1990s.  One has shown that cow's milk consumption increases the risk of Type 1 diabetes five- to sixfold, while the second tells us that cow's milk increases the development of at least another three to four antibodies in addition to those presented previously (p. 190).  In a separate study, antibodies to beta-casein, another cow's milk protein, were significantly elevated in bottle-fed infants compared to breast-fed infants; children with Type 1 diabetes also had higher levels of these antibodies In short, of the studies that have reported results, the findings strongly confirm the danger of cow's milk, especially for genetically susceptible children.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUST ANOTHER AWESOME REASON TO EBF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONGRATULATIONS  on your pregnancy.  : )

I hope everything goes well before and after your baby is born.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)