• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on whether to continue pumping or switching to formula altogether.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have 11 week old twins  and i am pumping and supplementing formula when I don't have enough breastmilk for their feeding.  Right now I am torn on what to do.  They are both increasing the amount they take in at their feedings so I am having a hard time keeping up with them. I am pumping every 3 hours, usually right after their feedings.  I am already feeling guilty about stopping, I want to do whats best for them but I also have a husband, 3 older kids and a house to tend to, not to mention taking care of myself. Any advice or thoughts would be great.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aneely08
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM
wow sounds like you have your hands full!! Put it this way you were able to breast feed for the first 11 weeks which is better than nothing. I was only able to BF my son for 5 weeks. Do what you feel is best but they will be fine either way! good luck!

jkrew
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Keep going, if you feel guilty now you will continue to feel guilty. I stopped BFing my son at 3 1/2 months because of SEVERE reflux, I kept pumping for another month then stopped when he would spit up differently on the BM. I regret it so much. I am trying to re lactate which is hard. I recommend trying fenugreek and if that doesn't up your supply you can try a drug called Motilium (Domperidone)

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/prescript_galactagogue.html

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

Michelle2080
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM

I have never breast fed although I def agree with doing it and understand the benefits. I am a twin and my mom....needless to say that this was 28 yrs ago.... was told to formula feed once it was too demanding to feed the both of us.  He told her not to feel guilty, having a sane mother is better than having a flustered mother trying to keep up with feedings. You have to take care of yourself too, ultimately that makes you a better mom! 

elldev
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I will say go to formula. My son was preeme I BF for 3 months, pump for 1 and still didnt have enough milk. I felt guilty to stop but I was so tired pumping every 3 hours. Make sure that  you are feeling good too, and you gonna be better mommy for your kids and with 2 I can only imagine how tired you are. Good luck!!!.And you did good!!! You gave them best start BF but lives goes on.

ccoyle4
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I was the same way...except i only had one baby.  i just wasnt making enough milk and pumping was consuming my day.  i carried the pump around with me everywhere and plugged it into the car.  I finally decided to stop pumping and just switch to just formula.  I figured he got 2 months of breastmilk and it was better then nothing....i just wish he would have latched on.

bubbbaNbabygirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:37 PM

What she said! You can do it! definetly try the fenugreek you've done great so far! even if you pump and only continue to get what you have been that is great then just up their formula so they're not goin hungry!!

Quoting jkrew:

Keep going, if you feel guilty now you will continue to feel guilty. I stopped BFing my son at 3 1/2 months because of SEVERE reflux, I kept pumping for another month then stopped when he would spit up differently on the BM. I regret it so much. I am trying to re lactate which is hard. I recommend trying fenugreek and if that doesn't up your supply you can try a drug called Motilium (Domperidone)

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/prescript_galactagogue.html

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)