Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this rude?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM
  • 15 Replies

My in-laws (who do not exactly like me) rented a beach house over labor day week--Sept 5-12--and originally like, two or three months ago invited us to come down with them. About a month later hubby tells me they want us to leave Wed. morning so they can have time to themselves. I flipped out because I thought it was incredibly rude to invite then uninvite us--since it's an 8 hour drive for three days at the beach, while I will be 7 months pregnant and we have a toddler, and they know we don't have much money or flexibility right now...well I brought up to my hubby that considering our circumstances and the fact that our good car may not even be fixed by then, and that we will have JUST moved and we spent a lot on the vacation we are taking with my family, I just wasn't sure if we could go. Now he is mad at me, and doesn't agree at all that his parents were rude about it. Does anybody else think it's rude to take back/ alter an invitation like that?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chickie85
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Yes, that is very rude!

Sirenabella
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Yes. I understand their need to be alone but they shouldn't have offered then turned around and taken it back later.  

coco25
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Yes, its rude.  They should have told you that from the beginning.  Considering how far it is and how long you would stay, its not worth going. But, its also not worth fighting over either. 

NewMom2RAD
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Yeah thats what I said...if they wanted time alone they should have thought that through before throwing the invite out. Blows my mind that they want time alone, they barely like each other and he was having an affair on her last summer. I haven't seen them kiss each other or hug at all since hubby and I were dating.

Quoting Sirenabella:

Yes. I understand their need to be alone but they shouldn't have offered then turned around and taken it back later.  

NewMom2RAD
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM

LOL I would agree its not worth fighting over if this wasn't recurring behavior for them. They're nasty and rude people...Just wanted to know I am not a looney-tune for thinking it's rude.

Quoting coco25:

Yes, its rude.  They should have told you that from the beginning.  Considering how far it is and how long you would stay, its not worth going. But, its also not worth fighting over either. 

mrwinget
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Yes I think it is extremely rude and you should show him all these replies. There is no way in hell I would go for an 8 hour drive at 7 months pregnant, with a toddler to boot for 3 stupid days.  

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I think it is perfectly reasonable for them not to want to spend their WHOLE vacation with their son, a toddler and a pregnant woman.  I think it is nice that they invited you at all.  So I would go enjoy the couple of FREE days and say, Thank you!!!

Jadegirl1819
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM
I don't think so.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Oh one more thing, I do agree they should have made that clear at the beginning, not months later, still a couple of days away is better than no days away!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I think it is perfectly reasonable for them not to want to spend their WHOLE vacation with their son, a toddler and a pregnant woman.  I think it is nice that they invited you at all.  So I would go enjoy the couple of FREE days and say, Thank you!!!

coco25
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Yeah, Thank you, but NO Thank you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)