Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

parent giving underage son and friends alcohol piog

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:42 AM
  • 44 Replies

so my brother just turned 18 and graduated high school and my mom gave him a party so some of his friends where there and his friends are under 18 now i dont talk to my mom anymore but my older brother went and said how my mom was giving my brother and his friends alcohol from 11am to about 1 in the morning after the kids got drunk she let them go swimming now if that was your child and the parent was gving your underage kid alcohol how would you feel and what would you do? im just wondering because i know if that was my kid i would do anything i can top press charges god forbid something happened to those kids while they were swimming or got alcohol posing

by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2madi.n.max
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM

It really depends. For one, if she let any of them drive, I would call and report her. Not only could one of those teens hurt themselves, but they could hurt other people too. As far as swimming while intoxicated, I have done it, and if someone was sober and watching the kids, then that's not that big of a deal.

I do not agree with any adult giving alcohol to a minor. But you also have to think that they could just go out and 9 times out of ten figure out a way to get in by themselves, without having a place to drink at, and be on the road or doing god knows what.

beaniedeebo
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I dont believe that it was right, and i dont condone it, but it happens. Maybe your mom talked to the parents of the kids involved and they were aware there was going to be alcohol there. My cousins mom did the same thing....was it right?? meh, probably not. but she did it by telling the kids to bring tents b/c they werent leaving the party unless a parent picked them up, all the kids had to have their parents call her to make sure they knew what was going on. I dont think I will allow it for my own children, as I just dont agree with it, but it does happen. As far as it happening to my children, I would def. be upset.  

tattedmommynlj
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:51 AM

they were going to most likely get durnk anyways might as well do it where you can watch over them and make sure they dont drive or do anything dumb... yes its risky but so is being an adult over 21 and doing it.

My mom allowed me and friends she knew were allowed to drink in her house because she would rather have us safe in one spot and not have to worry about where we were going and if we got into a car drunk..etc. I was lucky enough my mom taught me to never get into a car with anyone drunk :-)

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

HaileyJades_mom
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:51 AM

well what if you didntknow they were giving alcohol and something happened to your child my mom likes to be more of a friend then a parent and from what i understand she let them all go home they were doing back flips off my moms shaded into the pool i think has to be the stupidest thing my mom has ever done

luv2wahm
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:54 AM

It isn't very smart in my opinion..she could be cited for contributing...and heaven forbid, something happens to one of those kids while they were drunk..you mom could face manslaughter charges if one of them died...or be sued if one of them gets hurt...

family in the van

Who I am as a mom can not be expressed in a paragraph. It is expressed by who my children will become.

mommy259
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I am sorry but if that was my minor child that was at your moms house i would be pressing charges on her for giving my minor child alcohol. That is not a very bright move at all

HeatherMae55
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:59 AM

*I* dont see anything wrong with it as long as everyone was safe and the parents knew about it.  After all at 18 you can die for your country but you can't have a beer?

But, I also remember seeing on the news a while back about  a Mom going to prison for TWO years for this exact same thing..

Blame Straight People   prochoice.jpg pro choice image by thekiltedyaksmendefault.jpg leagalize dont pentalize marijuana image by earlsworld70117

mrsmilfy

If that adult allowed any underage person to drink alcohol in their home, and then the underage person drowned or got in a car accident and died...then the adult would be held responsible. If a cop showed up and found kids were drinking, the adult would be charged with contributing to a minor. It's totally irresponsible and careless to give or allow underage people to drink alocohol.

SxyPanamami83

I dont see the big deal about a 18 year old drinking. they can join the army but not drink?

HaileyJades_mom
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 11:02 AM

only my brother was 18 his friends are from the age of 15-17

Quoting SxyPanamami83:

I dont see the big deal about a 18 year old drinking. they can join the army but not drink?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)