Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

*Baby fell back in tub*

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM
  • 8 Replies

my baby is 9 months & we were giving her a bath tonight. i tried to takr a pic and then she fell back into the water. it was a baby tub not a full size tub. i pulled her arm which wasnt the best but it was the first thing tht came to mind, i dropped the camera down and pulled her out completely. she choked at first tryin to catch her breath so i turned her on her belly and started patting her back i dont know if this is what to do but this was all just instinct.

i am kinda worried about her getting an ear infection but more so i am worried about dry drowning. any help?

thanx

scared & worried 1st time mommy

simple frown

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bloodroze
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:29 AM

sorry i dont know what to say... i believe you did right by your child by pulling her out asap and by what ever means possible. I really hope that you dont have to worry about dry drowning :( im sorry momma. here is an extra bump for you!

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:30 AM

bump

MikeysMom51108
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:35 AM

From what I've read, dry drowning is very rare--but one main thing to watch for is over tiredness. Other than that, I can't help much there.

As for the ear infection--watch for pulling at the ears, crankiness, and fever. With my son's first ear infection, he never showed any signs. Then, one day his temp got to 103. I took him to the hospital, and it turned out he had a severe double ear infection. But, he never pulled his ears or was more cranky than usual.

When my son was about 11 months old, he was taking a bath. Out of nowhere, he decided it would be fun to dive head first into the water. Talk about scary! But, he was okay, and I'm sure your little one will be too!

rocklovinggirl
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:39 AM

here is a bump for you... 

I support Ron Paul!
elly25
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:48 AM

I have only herd of that happening once.On the news.An over tired baby can be a clue.If she can't breathe or isn't getting enough oxygen into her system as well.Just watch her and see how she's breathing and if her color hasn't changed (low blood oxygen can change your body color sometimes).

You reacted the same way any mother would of.By getting her out as soon as you could.I would of did that and have.My daughter has slipped in the tub a few times.Trying to get out or standing up when I tell her not to.I get her out fast as well and she's 19 months old.My son has slid back in the tub and that scared the stuffing out of me.He went all the way under the water.I pulled him up,patted his back,and he gasped air.Then vomited water and food on my feet.It was only a second,but he swallowed a lot of water.He was 11 months old at that time.They are both fine now.

My son would stick his fingers in his ear if he had an ear infection.He would spike a fever and be very cranky to everybody.My daughter hasn't had a bad enough one to show me any signs I guess.she sticks her fingers in her ears when she gets sleepy.So I don't know with her.

de_sly
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:49 AM

my baby did this too. but it happened when she was 1 and a half. when it happened i didn't do anything at first cuz shes pretty good at taking care of her self. ive never had to worry about her.(i don'tleave her in the tub by her self or anything) anyways when she went under she just layed there. she was not gasping for air (i noticed she was holding her breath) he eyes were all big, looking around. i think she was just really surprised by this. so at this point i was like on shes not going to get her self out. i grabbed her and lifted her up out of the water. she was fine she was not gasping for air. but it did go up her nose when i pulled her up so she was mad about that and kept talking about her nose. (ok i don't wanna get bashed on here, im sure your all thinking she left her baby underwater for a really long time. no i did not. she was only under for a sec. it seems longer cuz i had this whole quick thought. main point only under for a sec. like i said most time she just gets up. and i thought she would but then i picked her up cuzshe was not) oh btw this did not give her any trauma, she is not anymore careful or scared of the water. so it was not a big deal at all.

i think your baby will be fine with the ear problem. yet i don't know how sensitive you baby is, so i could be wrong.

also, what is dry drowning? i have never seen this anywhere

monkeysmom21006
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:54 AM

I'd say just watch her. I know the fear of dry drowning. My 3 year old decided to WALK into the pool when I had told him to get out about a month back. He doesn't know how to swim, and he was completely submerged. I pulled him out in about 3 seconds (jumped across the pool), but man was I watching him like a hawk for like two days straight!!! If you're REALLY worried, call her pedi.

alexmama2209
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 4:01 AM
Are there any red flags that suggest a person is at risk for dry drowning? Yes, there are some signs that a person may have a dry-drowning episode. They include persistent coughing, shortness of breath, or pain in chest. All of those things are signals that something could be wrong. If someone comes out of the water and coughs for a minute, then calms down -- that is much different than if the child keeps coughing or complaining of pain. Like the child involved in the incident in South Carolina, a change in mental status and/or lethargy may also indicate that something is wrong.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN